Fall is mushroom season here and this time of year one will see empty cars by the side of the road. The occupants are off in the woods, either searching for mushrooms or hunting.
I stay out of the woods.
If there are people foraging for mushrooms they will be very unhappy to see other people in the same area.
If there are people hunting I will be very unhappy to be in the same area.
Our friend from Spain gave me lessons in mushroom foraging, and when I was with him, I happily picked and ate the mushrooms.
Now I prefer to buy mine in the markets. It’s easier and much less stressful when it comes to the eating part.
Click here to Pin Chicken & MushroomsPrint
Chicken & Mushrooms
This is an easy, skillet main course. Serve with rice or potatoes.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Skillet
- 2 chicken breasts, (12oz, 360gr) boneless, skinless
- 1 onion, sliced
- 4oz (120gr) mushrooms, cleaned, sliced
- 2 tbs Dijon-style mustard
- 1/2 cup (4oz, 120ml) chicken broth
- 1/3 cup (3oz, 90gr) Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tbs olive oil
- Heat oil in medium skillet.
- Add chicken breasts and brown on both sides, about 7 minutes total. Remove.
- Add onions, mushrooms, cumin to skillet and sauté 5 minutes.
- Return chicken to pan, add mustard, thyme, chicken broth, cover, turn heat to low and simmer 15 minutes, until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken and keep warm.
- Increase heat and simmer until pan sauce is reduced.
- Add yogurt to skillet, stirring well to combine.
- Spoon mushroom sauce over chicken and serve.
Reducing the liquid makes an easy pan sauce that is thickened slightly by the yogurt. You can substitute sour cream. If using plain yogurt remove the skillet from the heat before adding.
I cut the chicken breasts in half – it’s just easier.
- Serving Size: 1/2 recipe
- Calories: 366
- Sugar: 5.6 g
- Sodium: 720 mg
- Fat: 14.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.2 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 9.5 g
- Fiber: 1.6 g
- Protein: 45.4 g
- Cholesterol: 131.5 mg
Keywords: chicken breasts, mushrooms
It was a beautiful day for a bike ride…. A bit chilly, but it is fall and we try to be prepared.
There are no longer any kids on the paths and most of the bike-campers are gone for the season. That lets us stop and look at stuff that we normally just ride by.
Like this cute little café. They were closed today.
Ecluse is French for locks so this is on the No. 50 lock on the canal. The old lock-house is on the other side of the canal and not nearly as interesting.
They were closed all of last year but have been open on warm days in the summer this year.
They’ve recently given it all a fresh coat of paint and added a few things to the terrace.
Like this bike-riding skeleton:
Good to see that he still has his helmet on.
Next summer we’ll stop for an ice cream.