We don’t buy steaks at the French supermarkets as they tend to be….. chewy. We buy steaks at a butcher shop and they’re wonderful.
But, for the slow cooker or oven braises, I’m very happy with the less expensive cuts from the supermarket. The beef is well-marbled and full of flavor.
Beef is traditionally cooked in red wine. This is braised in white wine. The flavors are very different.
The beef was falling apart. We were very happy.
Click here to Pin Braised Beef & OnionsPrint
Braised Beef & Onions
This oven-braised beef was fork-tender and full of flavor. The recipe makes enough for 2 meals for 2 (or 1 dinner for 4).
We had it over mashed potatoes the first day and over pasta on the 2nd.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Marinate: 6 hours
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Total Time: 10 hours 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Beef
- Method: Braise
- 32oz (960gr) beef, suitable for braising or stewing
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3 tbs Calvados
- 2 tbs red wine vinegar
- Bouquet garni
- 4 bay leaves
- 1/4 tsp celery salt
- 1/4 dry mustard
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 tbs cornstarch (maizena) dissolved in 4 tbs water
- Cut beef into cubes, 2″ (5cm)
- Put beef, onions, garlic, and bouquet garni into a deep bowl.
- Combine wine, vinegar, Calvados, bay leaves, salt and mustard.
- Pour over beef and marinate, refrigerated, for 6 – 24 hours.
- When ready to cook, remove beef and drain, reserving marinade.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and brown, transferring to a large, oven-proof casserole.
- When all the beef is browned and in the casserole, pour the reserved marinade and onions over.
- Put into the oven and braise, 350F (175C) for 4 hours, checking occasionally and adding more wine or beef stock if it starts to dry out..
- To finish:
- Remove beef to a platter and keep warm.
- Remove bay leaves and bouquet garni.
- Heat sauce to boiling.
- Add cornstarch mixture, a little at a time, stirring until thick. You may not need all of it.
- Spoon some sauce over the beef and serve, any remaining sauce on the side.
You can marinate it for up to 24 hours so start it early in the day or the night before.
Substitute brandy for the Calvados, or apple cider.
Substitute 2 tsp parsley and 1/2 tsp thyme for bouquet garni (there are already bay leaves).
- Serving Size: 1/4 recipe
- Calories: 514
- Sugar: 3.2 g
- Sodium: 188.8 mg
- Fat: 16.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 5 g
- Trans Fat: 0.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 14.4 g
- Fiber: 1.5 g
- Protein: 50.8 g
- Cholesterol: 149.6 mg
Keywords: braised beef, beef in white wine
A benefit of walking alone is I tend to pay more attention to my surroundings. And, of course, I don’t get irritated with me when I keep stopping to take a photo.
This old barn partially covered by Virginia creeper caught my eye:
It was probably more colorful today but it was raining so no walk for me.
I also caught the deer out grazing.
They’re all looking in my direction but weren’t concerned – until I took the photo. I have my camera set to ‘click’ when I take the shot and that little noise sent them flying into the woods.
The herd is growing. Our friends, who had owned the farm, sold it last winter. Rumor has it that the new owner is not interested in managing the deer herd. That, coupled with the fact that there have been no hunt dinners for 2 years because of the pandemic, is letting the herd increase. Our friend didn’t let hunters on to the property, but he did cull the herd in the spring and donate the meat to the hunt dinners.
Maybe next year the hunters will lend a hand.