The theme for Monday Posts in February is Light Soup.
These are simple, easy recipes – no detailed photos, etc.
I always hesitate when naming a classic recipe that I have adapted to a simple recipe for 2.
Like so many classics there are as many recipes for Borscht as there are cooks. It’s further complicated by origin: Ukrainian Borscht is different from Russian Borscht is different from Polish Borscht is different….
This is mine:
Click here to Pin Borscht, Red Beet SoupPrint
Borscht, Red Beet Soup
You can use fresh, cooked beets, or canned or frozen with no seasoning for this easy soup.
Cooking time assumes that the beets are cooked.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Soup
- 3 large beets, (14oz, 420gr) cooked, peeled
- 1 medium potato, (5oz, 150gr)
- 1 medium carrot, (3oz, 60gr)
- 1 medium onion, (5oz, 150gr)
- 2 cups chicken broth, (16oz, 500ml)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1 tbs Balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbs tomato paste
- 3 tbs Greek yogurt, to finish
- Cut all vegetables into small pieces.
- Put vegetables, chicken broth, herbs and spices into a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Remove and discard bay leaves.
- Purée in blender or use an immersion blender.
- Stir in tomato paste and vinegar, gently bring just to a boil.
- Ladle into soup plates and serve, garnished with Greek Yogurt.
I buy whole, cooked, peeled beetroot – it’s the only way I get it here. If the beets are raw you must first cook them before using them for anything, including soup. To cook, gently scrub the dirt off and trim the stem and root end to about an inch. Cover with water and boil until tender, 45 – 90 minutes, depending on size.
You could also roast them: rub with a bit of oil, wrap in foil and roast for about the same length of time.
Either method: allow to cool slightly, then slip the skins off and trim the root and stem. Now they are ready to eat or use.
- Serving Size: 1/2 recipe
- Calories: 269
- Sugar: 25.3 g
- Sodium: 1149.9 mg
- Fat: 2.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.9 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 53.6 g
- Fiber: 11.7 g
- Protein: 11.3 g
- Cholesterol: 8.4 mg
Keywords: red beets, beetroot, soup, first course soups