The theme for Monday Posts in February is Light Soup.
These will be mainly vegetable soups that are suitable for a first course or, with the addition of a salad or some crusty bread, a light lunch or supper.
Vegetable broth can be substituted for the chicken broth that I usually use.
These are simple, easy recipes – no detailed photos, etc.
Click here to Pin Cauliflower Soup with GruyerePrint
Cauliflower Soup with Gruyère
A sprinkle of paprika adds color to this creamy soup.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Soup
- 1/3 head of cauliflower, about 2 cups small florets
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups (12oz, 360ml) chicken broth
- 1 cup (8oz, 250ml) chicken broth, if needed
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 cup (2oz, 60gr) shredded Gruyère
- 1/2 cup (4oz, 125ml) milk
- 1 tbs butter
- 2 tbs freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add celery, onion, and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add cauliflower, 1 1/2 cups of broth and thyme.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until cauliflower is tender, 20 – 25 minutes.
- Purée soup in a blender or using an immersion blender.
- Return soup to heat, add milk and bring to a simmer.
- Add more chicken broth if desired.
- Taste and add salt & pepper if needed.
- Reduce heat and add cheese, whisking to combine.
- Do not let it boil or the cheese may separate.
- Add more hot broth if needed.
- Ladle into soup plates, sprinkle fresh Parmesan, paprika evenly over the top and serve.
Start out with the 1 1/2 cups of broth. After pureeing and adding milk you can add more broth if you want it thinner.
For a richer soup use cream in place of the milk.
- Serving Size: 1/2 recipe
- Calories: 306
- Sugar: 9.5 g
- Sodium: 1585.8 mg
- Fat: 19.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 11 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 16.8 g
- Fiber: 4.4 g
- Protein: 19.4 g
- Cholesterol: 62.6 mg
Keywords: cauliflower, soup, cauliflower soiup