The theme for Monday Posts in February is Light Soup.
These are simple, easy recipes – no detailed photos, etc.
Usually, when I buy broccoli, it’s a small head that is barely enough for 2 meals (for 2) as a vegetable.
Sometimes I can find a larger one – or buy an extra just to make this soup.
Click here to Pin Creamy Broccoli SoupPrint
Creamy Broccoli Soup
This is a quick, warming soup for a cool weather first course or light lunch.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: First Courses
- 1/3 – 1/2 head broccoli, 1 1/2 cups (5oz, 150gr), chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 1/2 cups (12oz, 360ml) chicken broth
- 1 tsp dried marjoram
- 2 tsp Dijon-style mustard
- 1/4 cup (2oz, 60ml) yogurt
- 1/2 cup (2oz, 60gr) shredded Gruyère cheese, reserve a bit for garnish
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan.
- Add onion and sauté until starting to get tender.
- Add chicken stock, marjoram and broccoli.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer until broccoli is tender, 10 – 12 minutes.
- Purée soup, using only as much stock as needed.
- Reserve the rest of the stock.
- Return the soup to heat, add mustard and enough reserved stock to get the consistency you like.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and stir in the yogurt and cheese.
- Heat, stirring, just until cheese melts.
- Serve, garnishing each serving with a sprinkle of cheese.
You can substitute milk or cream for the yogurt but it will not be quite as thick.
Both the yogurt and the cheese will thicken the soup. Careful not to let the soup boil after adding the cheese or it will be ‘strings’.
- Serving Size: 1/2 recipe
- Calories: 262
- Sugar: 4.6 g
- Sodium: 458.7 mg
- Fat: 15.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 8.7 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 12.1 g
- Fiber: 2.7 g
- Protein: 19.2 g
- Cholesterol: 46 mg
Keywords: light soup, broccoli soup, first courses
Next month: Winter Vegetables
4 thoughts on “Creamy Broccoli Soup”
This looks yummy! I’d have to use oatmilk or something oatmilk based, but I think that would be doable. I love soup. I might have mentioned that before 😉
I love soup – and have some every day in the cooler weather. This is an easy one, too.
I love love love broccoli and it was one thing that was not readily available in Morocco
I love it but have never tried growing it. I thought they grew everything in Morocco lol
Comments are closed.