I fondly remember the little packages of Green Giant or Bird’s Eye frozen vegetables I used to buy in the U.S.
They came, in a bag, in a box, and nicely served 2 people.
One made a a little slit in the bag, popped it in the micro for a few minutes and the side was ready, complete with a sauce of some sort. The weight, if I remember correctly, was usually 10 or 12 ounces (300 – 350 grams).
Here the frozen veggies come in 1 kilo bags (about 2 lbs) with no sauce. The spinach is in cubes of about an ounce (30gr) each and other vegetables are just loose. It’s easy to grab a cup or 2 to toss into whatever. Sometimes we want a change from what grows in my vegetable garden…..
I always have bags of spinach and peas in the freezer and, sometimes, artichoke bottoms.
Click here to Pin Curly Pasta with Ham & PeasPrint
Curly Pasta with Ham & Peas
Creamy goat cheese makes an easy sauce for this skillet dinner. If you have some left it’s great on toast or crackers!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Category: One Dish Dinners
- 10oz (300gr) ham, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 1/2 cup (7.5oz, 220gr) peas, frozen, no sauce
- 1 1/2 cup (12oz, 360ml) chicken broth
- 3oz (90gr) goat cheese, soft, spreadable
- 1 tbs Dijon-style mustard
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1oz (30gr) shredded cheese
- 1 1/4 cup (4oz, 120gr) dry pasta, curly, penne, rigatoni
- Heat oil in large skillet.
- Add onion and pepper and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add ham, paprika and sauté 5 minutes longer.
- Add chicken broth, thyme, mustard and stir to combine.
- Add pasta, cover and simmer until pasta is done, about 15 minutes. Add peas after 10 minutes.
- When pasta is done, add goat cheese and stir until melted and combined.
- Sprinkle with cheese and serve.
The goat cheese I use comes in a small carton, usually about 5oz (150gr) and is called Chavrie or Chevraux.
- Serving Size: 1/2 recipe
- Calories: 670
- Sugar: 10.8 g
- Sodium: 1380.2 mg
- Fat: 35.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 14.7 g
- Trans Fat: 0.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 24.5 g
- Fiber: 7 g
- Protein: 60.6 g
- Cholesterol: 170.6 mg
Keywords: ham, peas, pasta, cheese sauce
It’s a treat to be eating vegetables that are not from my garden. My winter squash are not finished yet. I have one butternut squash, one red kuri, and more spaghetti squash than I know what to do with
I haven’t told mon mari yet, but I also have several bags of shredded summer squash in the freezer.
He’s been begging for broccoli, cauliflower, anything that is not a squash.
Maybe I should scale back my planting…..
2 thoughts on “Curly Pasta with Ham & Peas”
YUM!! This one’s right up my alley! 🙂
I always have bags of frozen veggies in my freezer. I have some that are 2# bags but mostly I keep the 12oz bags and I make one bag every other night. Hubs gets half a bag with dinner and the other half the next night. They steam in the bag so it makes it nice and I like the fact that they’re flash frozen and no salt.
It’s 12 degrees here at 8pm. It was 3 degrees when I got up at 4am this morning. I think we’re in the middle of a cold spell…
I think our cold spell is over – although the coldest it got was in the 20’s at night. I think we had a day or two that didn’t get above freezing. That’s cold for us. It’s not easy keeping these old stone walls warm lol. Today we have actual sunshine – the first in about 2 weeks and it’s almost 50! Sadly, there is a cold wind so no bike ride yet….
Comments are closed.