The day mon mari fondly calls Fish H*ll Day.
One would think he doesn’t like fish….
To be honest, I don’t think he would ever buy it himself to cook at home. His favorite fish would be (I think) fish sticks (fish fingers) with lots of tartar sauce.
To be totally fair, he will order it in restaurants when the setting is right: calamari in Spain, Ono in Hawaii, salt-crusted dourada in Portugal.
It just occurred to me that I need to change my approach. Instead of buying fish to cook at home we need to travel to the fish and eat it by the water.
like that idea…. A lot.
In the meantime, he’s always happy with shrimp.
Click here to Pin Shrimp Fried RicePrint
Shrimp Fried Rice
This is a quick skillet dinner for 2. If you have leftover rice it is even faster.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Seafood
- Method: Skillet
- 1/2 cup (3oz, 90gr) Basmati rice
- 1 cup (8oz, 250ml) chicken broth
- 3 medium shallots, cut in half, the sliced
- 1 tbs fresh ginger, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup (5oz, 150gr) peas, frozen, no sauce
- 8oz (250gr) shrimp, cleaned
- 3 eggs
- 1 tbs sesame oil, divided
- 2 tbs olive oil, divided
- 1 tbs soy sauce
- 2 tbs dry sherry
- Cook rice in broth until done.
- Remove from heat, uncover, fluff with a fork and allow to cool slightly.
- Put eggs into a small bowl and lightly beat with a fork.
- Heat half of the oils in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add eggs, cook quickly, scrambling, until just set.
- Remove eggs to a plate and set aside.
- Heat remaining oils and add shallots, ginger, and garlic.
- Stir-fry until shallots are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add shrimp, soy sauce and stir-fry until shrimp are cooked (they curl and turn opaque), about 5 minutes.
- Add rice, peas, sherry and stir well to combine.
- Stir-fry for 3 minutes or until peas are thawed / cooked.
- Break scrambled egg into chunks, stir into rice and serve.
Fried rice would normally have sliced green onions rather than shallots but they are not available where I live when not in season locally.
- Serving Size: 1/2 recipe
- Calories: 652
- Sugar: 7.3 g
- Sodium: 1093 mg
- Fat: 29.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 5.6 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 55.2 g
- Fiber: 4.4 g
- Protein: 41.2 g
- Cholesterol: 464 mg
Keywords: fried rice, shrimp, stir fries
Now that our weather has warmed, slightly, and the sun is shining, I have the draperies open off the deck.
I have the birdfeeder on the railing and it’s fun to watch them. This is the view from my desk.
But it’s not easy to get a photo….
I took this yesterday, with my camera. When I started to try to take the photo there were 6 or 8 birds eating and hopping and flitting. They wouldn’t stay still! I think that is a red-throated tit.
This morning the doves came.
They always come together and 1 will watch while the other eats. I couldn’t reach my camera without startling them so this was with my phone.
There are times when the 2 doves and a dozen of the smaller birds are all enjoying their seed together.
So far they haven’t been bothered by the magpies – which are nasty, greedy birds. They gobble the food and chase the other birds away.
I moved the feeder closer to the house this year. Maybe the magpies don’t like that….