We like most of the dishes I make.
I have enough practice in the kitchen that I don’t often combine ingredients that should stay apart.
That being said, I also don’t often make a dish that we love at first bite.
Like, yes; love, not so often.
This was one….
I also don’t usually repeat recipes close together.
I’ve made this 3 times in as many weeks.
I honestly don’t know why this was so good…. nothing special.
Click here to Pin Chicken, Rice, & Winter Squash SkilletPrint
Chicken, Rice, & Winter Squash Skillet
Simple, skillet dinner that is light on calories and heavy on flavors. Plus it’s ready with minimum prep.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Skillet
- 10oz (300gr) chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces
- 8oz (250gr) winter squash, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 tbs Dijon-style mustard
- 2 tbs parsley
- 1/2 cup (3.3oz, 95gr) Basmati rice
- 1 1/8 cup (275ml) chicken broth
- 1/3 cup (3oz, 90gr) Greek yogurt
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion, squash, and sauté until they start to get tender, 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, chicken, and sauté until chicken starts to brown
- Add remaining ingredients, except yogurt, stir well, cover, reduce heat slightly and cook 16 minutes until rice is done.
- Stir occasionally.
- When ready, stir in yogurt and serve.
Substitute sour cream for yogurt – or cream cheese (more calories).
Use any winter squash – butternut, Hokaido, pumpkin…
- Serving Size: 1/2 recipe
- Calories: 536
- Sugar: 9.1 g
- Sodium: 999.2 mg
- Fat: 13.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.1 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 55.6 g
- Fiber: 2.7 g
- Protein: 42.7 g
- Cholesterol: 112.4 mg
Keywords: skillet chicken, chicken rice,, winter squash
It was nice enough yesterday that I was able to get a little spring clean-up done.
I kept getting distracted by the low hum I heard everywhere.
The bees were happy to have some sunshine and all of the flowering trees were buzzing.
It’s not easy to take a photo of a busy bee – not even fat bumble bees.
He paused just long enough for the photo.
Of course it was about my 20th attempt….