The theme for Monday Posts in April is Spring Vegetables.
Our favorite spring vegetables are both green and white asparagus, snow peas, spinach, artichokes, and…
I won’t be able to get to them all.
Asparagus Soup is easy and flexible.
It can be served hot, room temp or chilled.
One can buy asparagus just for soup or save the trimmings and use them to make soup. If you use trimmings you will have to cook it longer for them to get tender. You can find (lots of) Asparagus End soup instructions online.
To be honest – I prefer the fresh, tender stocks for my soup.
The Monday recipes are simple, easy, and without detailed photos, etc.
Click here to Pin Asparagus SoupPrint
Hot or cold, this is a delicious soup for a first course or light lunch.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: First Courses
- 1 medium onion (about 4oz, 125gr), chopped
- 1 medium potato (about 4oz, 125gr), chopped
- 12oz (350gr) green asparagus (16oz (500gr) bundle, trimmed), cut into 1″ (2.5cm) lengths, a few tips reserved
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tsp butter
- 2 tbs Greek or plain yogurt
- Heat butter in medium saucepan.
- Add onion and sauté until tender and transparent, about 5 minutes.
- Add asparagus, potatoes and broth.
- Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are done, about 15 minutes.
- At any time, drop in the reserved asparagus tips and boil for 2 minutes.
- Remove and set aside.
- When potatoes and asparagus are tender purée in blender, using only as much broth as needed, reserving the rest.
- Add as much of the remaining stock to get your preferred consistency.
- Add more chicken broth if you like. I used 2 cups.
- The soup can be served hot or made ahead to this point, chilled and served cold.
- To serve: ladle into soup plates, put 1 tbs yogurt in the center and garnish with asparagus tips.
I bought a 500gr (16oz) bundle of asparagus and used all of it – after trimming. This is soup,,,, one does not have to be precise.
- Serving Size: 1/2 recipe
- Calories: 192
- Sugar: 8.3 g
- Sodium: 722.2 mg
- Fat: 5.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 30 g
- Fiber: 7.1 g
- Protein: 9 g
- Cholesterol: 16.2 mg
Keywords: asparagus soup, light soup
4 thoughts on “Asparagus Soup”
Perfect soup to serve cold…so summery !
I try to make extra – just for me, to have cold at lunch.
I love soup. I’ve not made asparagus soup. As soon as I see fresh in the store, I’m going to make this. It’s still cold enough outside.
Like I said – I only get to make it at the end of the season. The hubs is in charge of asparagus lol
Comments are closed.