I think this will be the last skillet dinner of this season.
I say that with some hesitation…. We were planning on getting out the barbecue grills but the weather turned cold, snow is possible (?!?) and we have fires, once again.
It’s spring, after all, and that’s always unpredictable.
When I looked at the photos of this I was reminded of a TV show we used to watch. One of the main characters only ate white food.
This would have been perfect.
I’ve never tried using cauliflower in stir-fries or stews or any dish where is might get ‘crumbly’. I put it on the top of the rice / chicken and it steamed while the rice cooked.
I love it when I learn something new.
Click here to Pin Chicken, Cauliflower, and Rice SkilletPrint
Chicken, Cauliflower, and Rice Skillet
I laid the cauliflower on top, after the rice was stirred in, to allow it to steam. It worked perfectly.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Skillet
- 12oz (360gr) chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces
- 10oz (300gr) cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 tbs Dijon-style mustard
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/2 cup (3.3oz, 95gr) Basmati rice
- 1 1/8 cup (9oz, 270ml) chicken broth
- 1/3 cup (3oz, 90gr) Greek yogurt
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and sauté until it starts to get tender, 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, chicken, and sauté until chicken starts to brown
- Add rice, broth, mustard, thyme, and stir well, and spread in skillet evenly so rice is mostly covered.
- Lay cauliflower on top, single layer.
- Cover, reduce heat and cook 16 minutes until rice is done.
- When ready, gently stir in yogurt and serve.
I didn’t stir this while it was cooking as I didn’t want to break up the cauliflower.
Substitute sour cream for yogurt – or cream cheese (more calories).
- Serving Size: 1/2 recipe
- Calories: 575
- Sugar: 8.7 g
- Sodium: 1051.3 mg
- Fat: 14.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.4 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 55.1 g
- Fiber: 4.9 g
- Protein: 50.5 g
- Cholesterol: 133.1 mg
Keywords: chicken skillet, cauliflower rice, chicken rice skillet
We have a well underneath the combined tree / wisteria vine in front of our house. We keep post of geraniums on it in the summer and neglect it over the winter. It’s kind of a protected area.
We’ve had doves rest there for a few days in the past. Apparently the dove parents kick them out of the nest before they can fly. The parents watch them and feed them for a day or two until they are ready to, um, spread their wings.
The other day there was a big bird out there, pecking around in the pots with the half-dead geraniums.
I thought maybe it was a pheasant. it didn’t fly off when we went outside for a closer look – although we didn’t go very close.
When it hopped up to sit in the flower pot I grabbed my camera.
When I looked out a few hours later it was gone.
Now that I look at the photos I can see it’s not a pheasant.
I checked with people who know things – it’s a partridge.
A partridge in a flower pot.
Life is always interesting here.