The theme for Monday Posts in May is Potatoes.
Potatoes are a very misunderstood vegetable. Yes, they are a vegetable, plus they are healthy.
Potatoes have vitamins C and B6, potassium, copper, manganese and dietary fiber. They offer cardiovascular protection, have a potential for lowering blood pressure and have a variety of phytonutrients with antioxidant activity.
This month we are celebrating the the humble potato.
Chez nous we have 6 months (roughly) of winter cooking, which I do in the kitchen and 6 months (roughly) of summer cooking which mon mari does outdoors on one of the barbecue grills or smokers.
As May is always a fickle month, here is a final indoor potato recipe:
Click here to Pin Fried Potatoes with Peppers & FetaPrint
Fried Potatoes with Peppers & Feta
With peppers, onions, and mushrooms this is a complet ‘side dish’ – additional vegetable is optional.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Potatoes
- Method: Skillet
- 2 medium potatoes (12oz, 350gr) cut into chunks
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 3oz (90gr) mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
- 1/3 cup dry-cured Greek olives, pitted and sliced
- 3oz (90gr) feta cheese, crumbled or cut into small chunks
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbs olive oil
- Heat oil, paprika and cumin in a large skillet.
- Add potatoes, onion, pepper, mushrooms and sauté until well browned and tender, 15 – 20 minutes.
- Add oregano, olives and heat through.
- Add feta, stir well to combine and serve.
Use any cheese or olives (or vegetables) that you like in this easy dish
- Serving Size: 1/2 recipe
- Calories: 414
- Sugar: 11.6 g
- Sodium: 598.2 mg
- Fat: 19.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 7.8 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 50.8 g
- Fiber: 9.6 g
- Protein: 13 g
- Cholesterol: 37.8 mg
Keywords: potatoes, fried potatoes, peppers,, mushrooms
Next month: small salads