I grew up in a small town in the Midwest.
It was a small town surrounded by small towns.
All the towns had at least one restaurant.
The restaurants were for adults. The adults dressed up – suits for the men, nice dresses for the women.
They had cocktails and ordered expensive dinners. It was a ‘night out’.
One might see children there at noon on Sunday or another special occasion, but not in the evening.
Steaks were the prime attraction on the menu, but there was also shrimp, scallops, lobster tail, and frog legs.
With all those choices, my mother’s favorite thing to eat was a Hamburger Steak.
When asked why she didn’t order something more interesting (expensive) she said it was her night out and she ordered what she liked to eat.
This is my mother’s favorite ‘steak-house’ dinner.
Click here to Pin Hamburger Steak, Fried OnionsPrint
Hamburger Steak, Fried Onions
Cook outside on the barbecue if the weather is good, but a skillet works just fine.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Beef
- Method: Skillet
- 16oz (500gr) ground beef (mince)
- 2 onions, thickly sliced
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs butter
- 2oz (60gr) cheese, something that will melt
- Fry onions in butter and oil in a large skillet until well browned and starting to crisp around the edges, 10 – 15 minutes.
- Move to the side.
- Divide the beef in half and very gently form 2 large patties. Do not press together.
- Add patties to skillet and fry until done to your liking, turning once. 3 – 8 minutes depending on thickness and how you like them cooked.
- Top with cheese and cover briefly to melt.
- Top with onions and serve.
I used mimolette cheese, sliced thinly… Use your favorite.
We like our burgers medium rare, so cooking time was 2 minutes, flip, 1 minute. You can make a small slit in the middle to check.
- Serving Size: 1/2 recipe
- Calories: 684
- Sugar: 6.9 g
- Sodium: 340.1 mg
- Fat: 44.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 18.8 g
- Trans Fat: 1.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 15.8 g
- Fiber: 2.7 g
- Protein: 53.1 g
- Cholesterol: 188.9 mg
Keywords: beef, burgers, hamburger
My mother would have skipped the cheese….
As I was remembering these restaurants I pondered the popularity of frog legs.
One of my parents’ favorite restaurants was The Golden Frog.
I googled it.
It’s still open.
The menu has been updated (of course) and it now offers wings and wraps and salsas and deep-fried pickles.
It also still has frog legs…..