Picture Thanksgiving…. The golden brown turkey is out of the oven, sitting on the counter.
If my mother hadn’t been wielding a large butcher knife it would have been denuded of skin in seconds. Not a single family member would have felt the least bit guilty as they left the kitchen with a prized scrap of crisp skin.
For some of us it’s the best part of the bird, whether chicken or turkey, roasted, fried, or barbecued.
When we lived in Andorra we regularly had lunches with large groups of people from all over the world. One day a friend confided in me that another friend had a terrible, rather disgusting habit of actually eating the skin from her roast chicken. He was appalled.
I always felt a bit sorry for him…..
He wouldn’t have liked these at all.
Click here ti Pin Barbecued Chicken Wings, Oyster SaucePrint
Barbecued Chicken Wings, Oyster Sauce
I make a large batch of these and keep them on hand for nibbling in the summer. We’re happy to have them cold.
Marinate them overnight or all day for best flavor.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Marinate: 12 hours
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 12 hours 30 minutes
- Yield: 18 – 20 servings 1x
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Grilling
- Cuisine: Chinese
- 20 chicken wings
- 1/2 cup (4oz, 120ml) chicken broth
- 1/4 cup oyster sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbs mushroom soy sauce
- 2 tbs sherry
- 1 tsp powdered ginger
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbs cornstarch (maizena) dissolved in 3 tbs water
- 3 tbs hoisin barbecue sauce
- Mix chicken broth, oyster sauce, water, soy sauce, ginger, garlic and sherry.
- Pour over chicken wings and marinate, refrigerated, overnight, turning occasionally.
- When ready to cook remove wings from marinade, reserving marinade.
- Cook chicken wings on barbecue grill until done, 25 – 30 minutes, turning and basting with barbecue sauce.
- Make Barbecue Sauce while wings cook:
- Heat reserved marinade to boiling and simmer for 5 minutes, reducing slightly.
- Add cornstarch mixture and stir until thickened.
- Stir in hoisin sauce.
- Divide sauce – use half to baste the wings and the other half as a dipping sauce.
- When wings are done, remove.
- Serve with remaining barbecue sauce on the side.
I did the nutrition information per wing, rather than a serving size: 1 wing=1 serving.
There are marinated over night.
- Serving Size: 1 wing
- Calories: 35
- Sugar: 0.9 g
- Sodium: 227.1 mg
- Fat: 0.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.2 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 2.7 g
- Fiber: 0.1 g
- Protein: 4 g
- Cholesterol: 9.9 mg
Keywords: chicken wings, barbecued chicken wings, oyster sauce
Looking for more? Barbecued Chicken Thighs with homemade BBQ Sauce
My vegetable garden has improved significantly over the last 3 weeks.
We’ve eaten all but 2 head of the original heads of lettuce I planted in early May and the Romaine is about ready.
Well, some of it is. I stagger the plantings because Romaine is ‘slow to bolt’ in hot weather.
Which is good, considering….
Over 200 high temperature records were broken in France over the last few days.
Here it was 36C (97F) in the middle of last week, then going up to 38C (100F) on Friday and 40C (104F) yesterday.
Yes, the numbers broke records. Our average for those days in June is 26C (77F).
Very few people in Europe have air conditioning. It’s not really been needed in the past.
Today it was a cool 32C (90F) so I went out to inspect the plants.
They were very grateful for the water.
Did I mention we also are having a drought?