I am always at a loss as to what to call the bit of something I serve on the side.
This has mayonnaise but it’s not a tartar sauce. Nor is it just a ‘sauce’.
It’s meant to be eaten with the salmon but it’s not a dip or a topping.
It’s not puréed so it’s not a coulis – and it’s definitely not a gravy.
The thesaurus was of no help.
So it’s a relish – whatever that means.
It was good and worked very well with the salmon.
That’s really all I care about.
Click here to Pin Grilled Salmon, Tomato & Herb RelishPrint
Grilled Salmon, Tomato & Herb Relish
I used a supermarket tomato for this and it was fine. But, by this time of year our supermarket tomatoes are quite good. We used a Weber-type kettle grill. Instructions for a gas grill are in Notes.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- wood chips / grill: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Fish
- Method: Grilling
- 2 salmon filets, 12oz (350gr) total
- 2 tsp dill weed
- 1/2 tsp coarse sea salt
- wood chips for smoking – a handful or 2
- Tomato Herb Relish
- 1 ripe tomato, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tbs fresh tarragon, snipped
- 1 1/2 tbs fresh parsley, snipped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tbs mayonnaise
- Put wood chips in water to soak for 30 minutes or so.
- Put some charcoal in the barbecue grill, off to one side, and light it.
- Sprinkle the dill weed and salt on the top of the fish.
- When the coals are glowing, add the fish – either in a basket or on a grill mat (foil works) of some sort, to the side without the coals.
- Throw some wood chips on the coals and cover.
- We left ours on for about 15 minutes.
- Check it halfway through and add more wood chips if it has stopped smoking.
- It’s done when if flakes easily with a fork.
- Tomato Herb Relish
- Put all ingredients into a small bowl and mix well.
- Let rest 10 minutes for flavors to bloom.
To use a gas grill: Only light one side of the grill. Wrap the soaked wood chips loosely in foil. Poke a few holes in the foil and place on the grill. Keep the fish off of direct heat and the grill cover closed and vented or propped open an inch or so.
- Serving Size: 1/2 recipe
- Calories: 416
- Sugar: 3.7 g
- Sodium: 607.8 mg
- Fat: 26.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.2 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 7.3 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 35.8 g
- Cholesterol: 102.2 mg
Keywords: salmon, grilled salmon. smoked salmon
Or, for a different flavor entirely: Barbecued Salmon
Okay…. I also care about ice cream.
We decided to skip our long canal bike ride / picnic this week and go to the beach.
We went to a town along the coast for lunch. Mon mari was in the mood for moules frites (mussels and fries).
Arcachon reminds me a lot of Florida with similar shops, houses, and palm trees.
It wasn’t very busy yet. Summer hasn’t officially started. It was nice to be back – we haven’t been since the Before Times.
Actually, this was the first time we’ve gone out to lunch since the Before times.
The promenade was empty, although restaurants away from the beach were busy. You can just see the umbrellas. Sadly, our favorite restaurant by the water wasn’t open yet.
We skipped dessert at the restaurant in favor of ice cream in the sunshine. The ice cream shop is on the left with an orange awning.
We almost had the beach to ourselves.
We’ve never seen it so quiet, even in the off season.
Life is changing….