I don’t grow spinach in my potager any longer.
It was a long and hard battle but, alas, the ants one. There were too many of them and I simply lost the will to fight.
What do ants have to do with spinach you ask?
It’s the aphids.
The ants farm them.
The aphids eat the plants and secrete ‘honeydew’. The ants love the honeydew and ‘milk’ the aphids.
For maximum production the ants move the aphids around so the aphids have plenty of good food to eat.
The aphids love spinach – especially the young, tender shoots.
I no longer plant aphid food. I buy my spinach at the market.
We still love spinach salads.
Click here to Pin Spinach Salad with Sausage & PeppersPrint
Spinach Salad with Sausage & Peppers
This is a summer salad but made in the kitchen – using a single skillet. Serve with some crusty, whole-grain bread.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Salad
- 4 – 6 sausages, 10oz (300gr) total weight
- 6oz (180gr) spinach
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 4oz (120gr) cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 4 green garlic, sliced, including green tops
- 1/4 cup Greek olives, sliced
- 2oz (60gr) feta, crumbled
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 tbs fresh oregano leaves
- 1 tbs Dijon-style mustard
- 3 tbs lemon vinegar
- 4 tbs salad olive oil
- Fry sausages.
- When done, remove from skillet and slice into 1″ (2.5cm) lengths.
- Drain fat and add 2 tsp olive oil.
- Add peppers and sauté 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, green garlic and sauté 3 minutes longer.
- Put spinach and herbs in a large salad bowl
- Add half the vinaigrette and toss lightly.
- Add sausages, peppers, mushrooms and green garlic. Toss gently
- Taste and add more vinaigrette as desired.
- Add olives, feta, toss once or twice and serve.
- Combine mustard, vinegar in a bowl and whisk well.
- Slowly drizzle in olive oil whisking constantly so that the dressing emulsifies (gets thick).
Substitute green onions for the green garlic. Use any sausage you like. We used sweet Italian sausages.
Substitute cider vinegar for the lemon vinegar – or use fresh lemon juice.
- Serving Size: 1/2 recipe
- Calories: 672
- Sugar: 2.7 g
- Sodium: 1477.1 mg
- Fat: 53.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 14.1 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 19.2 g
- Fiber: 4.8 g
- Protein: 33.5 g
- Cholesterol: 70.2 mg
Keywords: spinach salad, spinach, sausages, mushrooms, peppers
It’s been a very sad week.
I don’t usually comment on the happenings in the world but I am seriously disturbed at the moment so I’m making an exception. What bothers me is that these decisions were, supposedly, made slowly and deliberately, by conscientious, educated, individuals well-versed in their field with feet planted firmly in the 21st century – as opposed to a half-crazed megalomaniac.
The decisions were supposed to be based on facts and precedent not on personal beliefs or preference.
More rights for gun owners.
Fewer rights for women.
Civilization took a giant leap backward.
Humanity took a hit…. I hope it’s not fatal.