Salad season is in full swing chez nous.
We’ve been eating them for lunch and dinner, as fast as we can.
It’s not fast enough.
The lettuce is winning this race.
But we’re thoroughly enjoying the contest.
Because mon mari is a T1 diabetic he needs a certain amount of carbs with each meal. I try to incorporate them into the salad (he could always have bread.). Feel free to skip that part.
Click here to Pin Turkey, Barley & Mushroom SaladPrint
Turkey, Barley & Mushroom Salad
This is a full meal salad, with south Asian flavors.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Salad
- 10oz (300gr) turkey cutlets, cut into strips
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4oz (125gr) mushrooms, trimmed, sliced
- 1 small – medium zucchini (courgette), quartered lengthwise, then sliced
- 4 tsp olive oil
- 2 tbs teriyaki sauce
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 cup chicken broth
- lettuce for 2 large salads
- Peanut Vinaigrette:
- 2 tbs peanut butter
- 2 tbs sherry vinegar
- 2 tbs salad olive oil
- Cook barley in chicken broth until tender.
- Uncover and allow to cool until needed.
- Heat 3 tsp oil in a large skillet.
- Add onion, mushrooms and stir-fry until onion is just tender.
- Add garlic, zucchini, and stir-fry until zucchini just starts to soften.
- Add 1 tbs teriyaki sauce and stir well to combine.
- Remove to a plate.
- Add remaining 1 tsp oil and turkey to skillet.
- Stir-fry until turkey is cooked through, 4 – 5 minutes.
- Add remaining 1 tbs teriyaki sauce, stir to combine and remove from heat.
- Prepare lettuce and put into large salad bowl.
- Add vinaigrette and toss well to combine.
- Add barley, vegetables and turkey, toss gently and serve.
- Peanut Vinaigrette:
- Whisk all ingredients well
I use quick-cooking barley which is done in just 15 minutes. You could also use rice – or skip it.
- Serving Size: 1/2 recipe
- Calories: 717
- Sugar: 9.9 g
- Sodium: 1029.6 mg
- Fat: 35.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 5.6 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 57.4 g
- Fiber: 12.2 g
- Protein: 47.9 g
- Cholesterol: 83.7 mg
Keywords: salad, main course salad, turkey, mushrooms, barley
Like Barley? Try Teriyaki Chicken & Barley Salad
I love the white lines, speed warning signs, and km markers that are on the canal bike paths.
There are also road signs:
It’s important to know how far one has to ride to buy wine in Bordeaux (168 km) or go zip-lining in Mont de Marsan (96 km) or buy armagnac in Condom (42 km).
This busy (?) crossroads is at the double locks that is usually the end of our ride:
We haven’t explored any of those routes. Chance are they are on busy roads with cars and through small villages.
We prefer the quiet, shady canal path:
Especially when it’s supposed to hit 38C (100F) or even 39C (102F) over the next few days.