Our supermarkets are, once again, offering meat for grilling.
In the winter we have meat that’s appropriate for stewing and braising and long-cooking. Simmer is grilling season.
Sadly, for us, the French prefer their steaks and chops to be on the thin side. Most cuts are (I’m guessing) 1 cm thick, which would be about 1/3 on an inch.
Occasionally we find something closer to an inch (2 cm?) in which case it (whatever) goes into my trolley (cart).
These were delicious – as were the sautéed mushrooms that went on top.
Click here to Pin Veal Tenderloin with Sautéed MushroomsPrint
Veal Tenderloin with Sautéed Mushrooms
This is a quick main course: tender veal steaks topped with savory mushrooms. The steaks need very little prep – just a sprinkle of salt and paprika.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Veal
- Method: Grilling
- 4 – 3.5oz (100gr) veal tenderloin steaks, about 1″ (2.5cm) thick (14oz, 400gr total weight)
- 1/2 tsp celery salt
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 4oz (125gr) mushrooms, trimmed, thickly sliced
- 1 tbs butter
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 tbs Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Sprinkle steaks with salt and paprika. Let rest until barbecue is ready.
- Heat butter, oil, chili powder, garlic powder, Worcestershire in medium nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add mushrooms and sauté, stirring frequently, until they are dark and glazed, about 10 minutes.
- You may have to turn the heat down a bit after 7 or 8 minutes.
- Set aside and partially cover to keep warm.
- Cook steaks on barbecue grill until done to your liking.
- Put 2 steaks on each plate, spoon mushrooms on top and serve.
We cook ours 2 – 3 minutes per side for medium rare, 4 – 5 minutes per side for medium, but it depends on the thickness of steak, heat of grill, etc.
- Serving Size: 1/2 recipe
- Calories: 461
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 371.2 mg
- Fat: 29 g
- Saturated Fat: 11.4 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 6.7 g
- Fiber: 1.3 g
- Protein: 43 g
- Cholesterol: 181 mg
Keywords: veal steaks, veal tenderloin, mushrooms
Veal cooks quickly on the grill. Try these Marinated Veal Chops for an easy main course.
We’ve been enjoying our bike rides along the canal this spring.
Now that the weather is warming we are seing more boats getting decked out for summer.
We rode at the opposite end of our canal trail last week.
On that ride we see a lot more privately owned canal boats.
For the last 2 summers it’s all been pretty quiet, the boats tied to their moorings and still with their winter coverings on.
This year is looking a bit more like ‘The Before Times’.
What caught my eye about the red boat was all of the hanging flowers on deck:
There are 3 levels of pots of flowers – almost as if they were starting a nursery.
Maybe they group the plants together to make it easier to care for them when the owners aren’t on the boat.
I do rather like the potted palms on either end.
I think I want a canal boat.