When we lived in the U.S. and were working we always went out to dinner on birthdays and anniversaries.
After moving to this side of the pond we initially kept up that tradition.
It slowly changed to having a few days away as a combined celebration for all events.
We like staying at a ‘restaurant with rooms’ when possible. We’d book according to the caliber of the restaurant and the room was just so we could drink all the wine. Driving under the influence is taken very seriously here.
For the last few years we’ve just stayed home. We splurge on the food and wine and have dinner on the deck admiring the sunset.
Click here to Pin Grilled Filet Mignon with MushroomsPrint
Grilled Filet Mignon with Mushrooms
The mushrooms are great with any steak – or lamb chops or pork tenderloin….
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Beef
- Method: Grilling
- 2 6oz (175gr) filet mignon steaks (tournedos)
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tbs ketchup
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 strips bacon
- 4oz (125gr) mushrooms, trimmed, sliced
- 1 tbs butter
- 1 tbs Worcestershire Sauce
- Wrap bacon around steaks and secure with toothpicks or kitchen string.
- Mix Worcestershire sauce, oil, ketchup, oregano, chili, garlic and brush on steaks. Set aside.
- Heat butter and Worcestershire in medium nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add mushrooms and sauté, stirring frequently, until they are dark and glazed, about 10 minutes.
- You may have to turn the heat down a bit after 7 or 8 minutes.
- Set aside and partially cover to keep warm.
- Cook steaks on barbecue grill until done to your liking, turning once.
- Put a steak on each plate, spoon mushrooms on the side and serve.
We cook ours about 3 minutes per side for medium rare, 4 – 5 minutes per side for medium, but it depends on ….thickness of steak, heat of grill, etc.
- Serving Size: 1/2 recipe
- Calories: 521
- Sugar: 5.2 g
- Sodium: 549.2 mg
- Fat: 34.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 12.1 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 9.1 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 43.2 g
- Cholesterol: 142.8 mg
Keywords: steak, mushrooms, filet mignon
For more summer grilling recipes see Barbecue Grill: Beef & Veal.
There is a lot of winter wheat grown in our area. The farmers seem to be of differing opinions as to what to do with what’s left after the harvest.
Our neighboring farmer just had it chopped up and spread behind the harvester. It will be plowed in, I assume, for the benefit of the hard clay that passes as soil here.
The other choice, of course, is to cut it and bale it.
This isn’t a big area for animals so I’m assuming that there’s not a huge market for straw. There are enough people who keep chickens, or have a couple of horses that there is a need for some straw bedding.
We don’t have big dairy farms here that need both straw and hay.
This field was next to the bike path.
The mind wanders on a bike ride….