I originally posted this a few years ago, but it’s one of our favorites so I thought it deserved an update.
I used to call this Niçoise Pasta Salad but as no self-respecting Niçois would break so far from tradition I decided to change the name.
A proper Salade Niçoise would have the small, black Niçoise olives and be served on a bed of lettuce.
While there may be arguments as to whether the green beans are cooked or raw, anchovies added or not, potatoes used or not, I doubt that pasta would ever be considered.
There won’t be an argument over the tuna – other than which is the best canned tuna.
Salade Niçoise always uses canned, never fresh. (Ok – some places are trying for Instagram likes and may use fresh….)
Click here to Pin Niçoise-Style Pasta SaladPrint
Niçoise-Style Pasta Salad
This is based on a traditional Niçoise salad – but with pasta for a late summer dinner.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Salad
- 6oz (180gr) green beans, trimmed, cut in half
- 1/2 cup (3oz, 90gr) cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1/2 yellow or orange bell pepper, sliced
- 9oz (270gr) canned tuna, drained, broken into chunks
- 2 eggs, hard cooked, quartered
- 1/2 cup black or green olives, (or both) pitted and halved
- 2 tbs fresh chives, chopped
- 1 1/4 cups (4.2oz, 125gr) pasta – bite-size, penne, fusilli
- 4 anchovy fillets optional
- 1/4 cup salad olive oil
- 2 tbs tarragon white wine vinegar
- 1 tbs Dijon-style mustard
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 1 tbs fresh tarragon, chopped
- 2 tbs chives, chopped
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Fill a medium saucepan 2/3 full of water and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Add beans and blanch for 3 minutes.
- Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Whisk vinegar, mustard and lemon juice.
- Slowly add oil, whisking until it emulsifies.
- Add tarragon, chives, stir and put into a large salad bowl.
- Add beans to vinaigrette.
- Add tomatoes, pepper strips, chives, olives and tuna to vinaigrette. Stir gently.
- When pasta is cooked, drain and add to mix in salad bowl.
- Toss lightly to combine.
- Quarter eggs and arrange on top.
- Garnish with anchovies, if desired, and serve.
Use any color / type of olive you like – and the anchovies are optional
- Serving Size: 1/2 recipe
- Calories: 810
- Sugar: 7.9 g
- Sodium: 1292.3 mg
- Fat: 42.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 7.5 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 56.3 g
- Fiber: 6.8 g
- Protein: 49.2 g
- Cholesterol: 246.9 mg
Keywords: pasta salad, tuna salad, nicoise salad
Last week I noticed that some of the trees are turning color already…. That was July 30th.
Tuesday on our bike ride (August 2) I saw this:
This looks more like late September rather than early August – except that if it was Sept. the leaves would be more colorful.
These were just brown and the leaves on the trees were pale green / yellow.
We are in the middle of the worst drought ever but these trees are on the canal.
The canal is low – still….
Maybe it’s the 3rd heat wave that’s doing it.
Whatever the reason – it made me sad to see more evidence of our future.