The theme for Monday posts in September is Mushrooms.
I did not willingly eat a mushroom until I was an adult.
The only mushrooms I had been exposed to were canned – either on pizza or in the ubiquitous ‘Cream of Mushroom Soup’
To me, they were just little bits of tasteless rubber. I refused to eat them.
Then I was introduced to fresh mushrooms.
I went from not eating them to foraging for them.
Okay – the foraging was limited to tagging along with someone who knew what they were looking for, but still….
This month we salute the mushroom – whether it’s white button, brown cremini, or wild mushrooms from the local markets.
Click here to Pin Butternut Squash, Mushrooms, & PecansPrint
Butternut Squash, Mushrooms, & Pecans
Just a little fun with fall bounty…. Sometimes we like to be fancy.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Category: First Courses
- 4oz (120gr) butternut squash, 24 thin circles or 48 half circles – see notes
- 1/4 cup (28gr, 1oz) pecans
- 4oz (120gr) mushrooms, forest or wild, if possible, trimmed, sliced
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 tsp butter
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp Balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- Sage Cream:
- 1/4 cup (2oz, 60gr) Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup (2oz, 60gr) white wine
- 1/4 cup (2oz, 60gr) chicken broth
- 1 tsp sage chopped fresh sage
- Heat 1 tsp oil and 1 tsp butter in a medium skillet.
- Add mushrooms and sauté until tender and starting to brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add pecans, sugar, soy sauce and vinegar.
- Stir well to combine, then let sauté for 5 minutes longer.
- Remove from heat and keep warm.
- Heat 1 tsp butter and 1 tsp oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add butternut squash slices in a single layer and sauté 3 minutes per side.
- When done remove from heat.
- Sage Cream:
- Bring broth, wine and sage just to a boil in a small saucepan.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool 5 minutes. Stir in yogurt.
- To assemble:
- Divide squash slices and arrange in an overlapping circle on 2 plates.
- Divide the mushroom / pecan mixture and spoon onto the center.
- Drizzle the Sage Cream around the edges, sprinkle with paprika and serve.
- Peel squash using vegetable peeler or sharp knife.
- Cut off the ‘neck’ end and slice circles as thinly as possible.
- If easier, cut it in half lengthwise and slice half circles.
- Cut the round end in half and clean out seeds.
- Wrap all remaining squash in film and refrigerate.
- Serving Size: 1/2 recipe
- Calories: 281
- Sugar: 6.4 g
- Sodium: 100.5 mg
- Fat: 20.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.9 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 15.4 g
- Fiber: 3.3 g
- Protein: 7.7 g
- Cholesterol: 14.8 mg
Keywords: butternut squash, pecans, mushrooms
More mushrooms? Stuffed Mushrooms