This is one of the times one actually wants a large summer squash. It shouldn’t be huge but large enough to get slices that are about 2″ (5cm) wide.
In order to get them thin enough I recommend using a mandolin or other slicer. They need to be thin enough to roll up easily.
The first few slices will be wasted – they’ll be too narrow and it usually takes me a few slices to get the thickness right.
I used 16 slices and there was squash left over. I tossed it in the compost. We have plenty, but you can save it for another day.
I’ve been getting tomato sauce from a local company and it’s chunky – with bits of herbs, carrots, tomatoes and onions in it. I love it!
Click here to Pin Stuffed Yellow Squash RollsPrint
Stuffed Yellow Squash Rolls
I used yellow squash but green or striped (zucchini) would work the same.
The nutrition info assumes there are 2 servings. We had a side of Basmati rice with it and it could have served 3.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Oven time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: One Dish Dinners
- 1 medium – large yellow squash or zucchini, very thinly sliced, yielding 16 slices
- 12oz (360gr) ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 4oz (120gr) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped Greek (black) olives
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 1/4 cups (10oz, 300gr) cups tomato sauce
- Sauté onion, pepper, garlic in oil for 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Add paprika, cumin and sauté briefly.
- Add beef and sauté, breaking it up as it browns.
- Remove from heat.
- Add olives, oregano, cheese, and stir well to combine.
- Lighly oil a large baking dish. (9 x 13 in.) (23 X 33cm)
- Looking at the skillet, roughly divide the meat mixture into quarters.
- Put 1/4 of each quarter of beef mixture on each zucchini slice and roll up.
- Place seem side down in dish.
- Spoon tomato sauce over the top, cover and bake, 400F (200C), for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve
Slice the squash the long way using a mandolin or large slicer. They should be just thin enough to roll easily, about 1/16th inch. I got 14 slices out of one squash. Use a 2nd squash if needed.
My tomato sauce is ‘chunky’. Use your favorite.
- Serving Size: 1/2 recipe
- Calories: 563
- Sugar: 13.2 g
- Sodium: 687.5 mg
- Fat: 26.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 10.5 g
- Trans Fat: 0.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 27.9 g
- Fiber: 6.4 g
- Protein: 55.1 g
- Cholesterol: 138.6 mg
Keywords: summer squash, zucchini, stuffed zucchini
You could also try Sausage & Ricotta Stuffed Zucchini.
It was a beautiful day today.
It was the kind of day we have had far too few of this summer.
The sky was a brilliant, clear blue.
Well, we’ve had lots and lots of days with clear blue skies but they have almost all been far too hot to venture outside to appreciate it.
Today, when we headed out on our bikes, it was 20C (68F) and dry.
There was a hint of fall in the air.
When we got back home it was 25C (77F).
It was a glorious ride!
Tomorrow it’s supposed to hit 37C (99F)…. But only for 1 day.
Summer: Gone but not forgotten.
2 thoughts on “Stuffed Yellow Squash Rolls”
Have you been using your pool a lot ???
We have…. Luckily we have no neighbors that can see it as it’s often too hot to change into a swimsuit. I keep a towel handy in case anyone drops by lol
Comments are closed.