You can use fresh zucchini, any color summer squash, or any of it frozen for this easy soup.
If using frozen there is no need to thaw.
This is a ‘quick & easy’ soup that is great served hot for a fall or winter first course or lunch or served cold for summer.
When I have a lot of summer squash in the summer I make it in big batches and freeze the soup.
Add the bacon and yogurt when serving.
Click here to Pin Zucchini SoupPrint
This can be made with fresh or frozen zucchini / summer squash. No need to thaw of drain when adding to soup.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Soup
- 2 cups chopped zucchini / summer squash
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tbs butter
- 1 medium leek, trimmed, chopped, including light green
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 2 tbs Greek yogurt
- 1oz (30gr) bacon, chopped
- Heat butter in a medium saucepan and sauté leek until tender.
- Add zucchini, basil, and broth.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- While soup cooks sauté bacon until crisp.
- Remove and drain.
- Purée soup, adding more broth or water if it’s too thick.
- Ladle soup into warm bowls.
- Add a dollop of Greek yogurt and top with bacon.
To freeze zucchini / summer squash just chop or shred, put in bags or containers and freeze.
Substitute a medium onion for the leek.
- Serving Size: 1/2 recipe
- Calories: 190
- Sugar: 3.4 g
- Sodium: 805 mg
- Fat: 13.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 6 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 11.7 g
- Fiber: 2.1 g
- Protein: 8.5 g
- Cholesterol: 30.6 mg
Keywords: soup, first course soup, light soup. zucchini, summer squash
For a different twist try Yellow Summer Squash Soup, with tomato (yellow) added.
Last week it was 36C (97F).
This week it’s 25C (77F)
The low temps were 20C (68F).
Last night was 3C (37F).
I’ve gone from shorts and tank tops to sweats with no pause in-between.
We were closing shutters and windows and doors to keep out the heat.
Now we’re opening them to let some heat into our cold house.
One could almost say that we are difficult to please…..
I will admit that I was quite happy to be able to put on a sweater.