The theme for Monday posts in November is Soup.
We love soup.
Well, I love soup… mon mari likes it. He’ll have a small bowl with his sandwich for lunch.
I could eat soup for every meal, every day and be happy.
I make 2 kinds of soup: first course or light soups which are puréed as most soups are here, and hearty soups which are full of chunky vegetables, like most soups are in the U.S.
November soups will be the latter.
Click here to Pin Cabbage Soup with HamPrint
Cabbage Soup with Ham
This is a hearty, cold weather soup that is just right for a lunch or supper with some warm biscuits or crusty bread.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Soup
- 3 medium potatoes, cut into small pieces
- 4 medium carrots, trimmed, roughly chopped
- 3 ribs celery, trimmed, roughly chopped
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 2/3 Savoy cabbage, outer leaves removed, 4 – 5 cups, roughly chopped
- 10oz (300gr) baked or pink ham, cut into small pieces
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp Herbes de Provence
- 6 – 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 tbs cornstarch (maizena) dissolve in 1/4 cup water
- Heat olive oil in a medium soup pot.
- Add onion and sauté until it starts to get tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add celery and sauté 5 minutes longer.
- Add ham and sauté briefly.
- Add carrots, potatoes, cabbage, herbs and broth.
- Cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, 30 – 40 minutes.
- To finish:
- Remove bay leaves.
- Increase heat.
- When simmering hard, add cornstarch, stirring until it clears.
I used Savoy or green cabbage. You could use the ‘white’ cabbage, also.
You can slice or chop the vegetables, whichever is your preference. This is soup – it’s flexible… use more or less of anything.
The bit of cornstarch is to give a better ‘mouth feel’ to the broth.
- Serving Size: 1/4 recipe
- Calories: 341
- Sugar: 10.9 g
- Sodium: 2439.8 mg
- Fat: 7.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.7 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 47.5 g
- Fiber: 10.2 g
- Protein: 22.2 g
- Cholesterol: 39.4 mg
Keywords: cabbage soup, vegetable soup, ham
Also try Ham, Bean & Pumpkin Soup