The theme for Monday posts in November is Soup.
We love soup.
Well, I love soup… mon mari likes it. He’ll have a small bowl with his sandwich for lunch.
I could eat soup for every meal, every day and be happy.
I make 2 kinds of soup: first course or light soups which are puréed as most soups are here, and hearty soups which are full of chunky vegetables, like most soups are in the U.S.
November soups will be the latter.
Click here to Pin Ground Beef, Vegetable, & Barley SoupPrint
Ground Beef, Vegetable, & Barley Soup
I used yellow tomatoes from my freezer, thus giving the soup a different color.
This goes together quickly using ground beef rather than the usual soup meat.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Soup
- 16oz (450gr) ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 8oz (250gr) green beans, cut into small lengths
- 1/3 Savoy cabbage, roughly chopped
- 1 cup (8oz, 240gr) chickpeas, drained
- 4 cups (30oz, 900gr) chopped tomatoes, with juices
- 1 cup (5oz, 150gr) quick-cooking barley
- 5 cups (40oz, 1250ml) beef broth
- 1 tbs olive oil
- Heat the oil in a soup pot.
- Add the beef and brown, breaking it up.
- As you chop the vegetables, add them to the pot.
- When the beef is brown and onions tender, add all the remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer until vegetables are tender and barley is done.
I can buy small cans of vegetables. If you can only get the 15oz size of chickpeas just use them all. This is soup = flexible.
Substitute regular white cabbage for the Savoy.
If using regular, pearled barley you will have to increase cooking time by 15 – 25 minutes.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 528
- Sugar: 15.1 g
- Sodium: 1237.2 mg
- Fat: 9.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.7 g
- Trans Fat: 0.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 73.3 g
- Fiber: 20.9 g
- Protein: 40.9 g
- Cholesterol: 67.8 mg
Keywords: soup, ground beef, barley soup
Here is the slow version of Beef Barley Soup – starting with making the stock.
2 thoughts on “Ground Beef, Vegetable, & Barley Soup”
Did you use flat beans in this? I love flat beans though I don’t usually find them, but the flavor is nice in soups. I do a similar soup to this with barley but use sauerkraut 🙂
Barley & sauerkraut soup… I’d forgotten that. My mother used to make it.
Yes, flat beans – they are almost always available here and I like them better than the French string beans. They pick them so small I hate messing with them lol
Comments are closed.