The theme for Monday posts in November is Soup.
We love soup.
Well, I love soup… mon mari likes it. He’ll have a small bowl with his sandwich for lunch.
I could eat soup for every meal, every day and be happy.
I make 2 kinds of soup: first course or light soups which are puréed as most soups are here, and hearty soups which are full of chunky vegetables, like most soups are in the U.S.
November soups will be the latter.
When I make soup (that doesn’t have tomatoes) I like to give the broth more heft but I don’t need the added fat / calories of using cream to do it. I use puréed vegetables.
In this case I used zucchini soup (puréed) that I had in the freezer from last summer, making the soup an olive drab rather than white.
Substitutes are given in the Notes.
Click here to Pin White ChiliPrint
Add hotter chilis or hot sauce to taste. Serve with crumbled taco chips or a sprinkle of cheese.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Soup
- 4.5 cups (45oz, 1350gr) canned white (cannellini) beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups puréed zucchini
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless (24oz, 750gr total weight) cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic. minced
- 3 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 4oz (120gr) green chiles – or something hotter, drained, chopped
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp oregano
- green Tabasco
- Heat oil in soup pot.
- Add chili powder and sauté briefly.
- Add onion, celery, peppers, and sauté 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, chicken and sauté 5 minutes longer.
- Add chicken broth, puréed zucchini, oregano, cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Add green chiles, beans, and simmer 10 minutes longer.
- Taste – add as much hot sauce you like.
I used zucchini – because that’s what was in my freezer. You could use an additional 15oz of white beans, puréed, or puréed cooked cauliflower, potatoes, or…. sour cream.
If you use frozen zucchini just thaw and purée – do not drain
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 373
- Sugar: 7.4 g
- Sodium: 865.5 mg
- Fat: 7.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.1 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 38.5 g
- Fiber: 11.4 g
- Protein: 38 g
- Cholesterol: 86.1 mg
Keywords: white chili, bean soup, white beans
You could also try: Ham, Bean, & Pumpkin Soup