The theme for Monday posts in December is Holiday Food.
Making the holiday dinner for family and / or friends can be both gratifying and terrifying.
I prefer a capon here when we are cooking for a small group but I have roasted a lot of turkeys when I lived in the U.S.
For many, including me, the best part about roasting a big turkey (or capon) is the leftovers. Whether it’s clandestinely picking at it with the fridge door open or making turkey & stuffing sandwiches, leftovers are the best.
This is one of our favorites. You could, of course, do make it with any turkey or chicken, leftover or not.
Click here to Pin Baked Turkey TetrazziniPrint
Baked Turkey Tetrazzini
In my opinion, the dry sherry is the key to the flavor in this dish. If you don’t have it or want it see notes for substitutes.
I used about 3 cups of leftover turkey.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Pasta
- Method: Oven
- 12oz (360gr) cooked turkey, in bite-size pieces
- 4oz (120gr) mushrooms, trimmed, sliced
- 3 shallots, chopped
- 1/2 cup (2oz, 60gr) shredded Gruyere (or Swisss) cheese
- 2 tbs butter
- 2 tbs flour
- 3/4 cup (6oz, 180gr) milk
- 3/4 cup (6oz, 180gr) chicken broth
- 1/4 cup (2oz, 60gr) dry sherry
- 1/3 cup (3oz, 90gr) Greek or plain yogurt
- 2 tsp oil
- 3.5oz (100gr) linguine, fettuccini, spaghetti
- Cook pasta according to package directions. When done, drain.
- While pasta cooks:
- Heat oil in large skillet. Add mushrooms, shallots and sauté until tender and starting to brown.
- Add turkey and heat through.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan.
- Add floor and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Slowly add milk, stirring constantly, until hot and thick.
- Add broth, sherry, and heat until just starting to bubble, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in yogurt and remove from heat.
- To finish:
- Add 1/3rd sauce to drained pasta, mixing well, and put in baking dish, making a bit of a ‘well’ in the center.
- Add 1/3 sauce to turkey and mushrooms, mixing well, and spoon onto the pasta, leaving an inch (2.5cm) border around the edge.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the turkey and mushrooms, cover with foil and bake, (400F, 200C) for 15 minutes.
- Uncover and bake 10 minutes longer.
- Reheat remaining sauce and serve on the side.
Substitutes for dry sherry: cream sherry, dry vermouth, white wine, Madeira, or 2 tbs apple juice plus 2 tbs apple cider vinegar.
Or just use more chicken broth…..
- Serving Size: 1/2 recipe
- Calories: 905
- Sugar: 13.7 g
- Sodium: 735 mg
- Fat: 38 g
- Saturated Fat: 17.9 g
- Trans Fat: 0.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 62.2 g
- Fiber: 3.3 g
- Protein: 74.9 g
- Cholesterol: 243.9 mg
Keywords: turkey, tetrazzini, leftover turkey
No leftover turkey? Try Tuna Tetrazzini.