I actually made this with veal.
The veal we get is always excellent. The beef may or may not be.
The last beef we had never made it to the ‘tender’ stage, even after long slow cooking. It will be a little while longer before mon mari agrees to try it again.
This is traditionally served with pasta but mashed potatoes or polenta would also be good.
Or just a fork…
Click here to Pin Corsican Beef, Slow CookerPrint
Corsican Beef, Slow Cooker
This is an easy recipe to double or triple – and leftovers are great!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 7 hours
- Total Time: 7 hours 20 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Beef
- Method: Slow Cooker
- 14oz (420gr) beef, suitable for braising or stewing, cut into 1/1/2″ (4cm) pieces
- 2oz (60gr) dry-cured ham, (Prosciutto, Bayonne), chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4oz (120gr) mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 3/4 cups (15oz, 450gr) whole tomatoes, with juices, chopped
- 1/2 cup (4oz, 120ml) white wine
- 2 tsp dried Herbes de Provence
- 3 tbs tapioca
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 4oz (120gr) spaghetti
- Heat oil in medium skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add beef and sauté until starting to brown.
- Put onions, garlic, herbs into the slow cooker.
- When beef is browned, put on top of onions.
- Add wine to skillet and deglaze pan.
- Layer mushrooms, ham on beef.
- Pour wine over the top.
- Sprinkle with tapioca..
- Add tomatoes with juices, cover and cook, low heat, 7 hours. Stir once.
- About 30 minutes before dinner:
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions
- Drain and arrange the pasta on a small platter or two plates.
- Spoon some beef and ham on top of the pasta and serve.
I usually use beef in this recipe. This time I used veal. The recipe assumes beef. For veal cook for 6 hours, rather than 7.
Could substitute bacon for Prosciutto.
If you prefer a thicker sauce, stir in 1 – 2 tbs tomato paste before serving.
- Serving Size: 1/2 recipe
- Calories: 732
- Sugar: 10.8 g
- Sodium: 517.1 mg
- Fat: 19.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.5 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 71.4 g
- Fiber: 7.5 g
- Protein: 56.2 g
- Cholesterol: 130 mg
Keywords: slow cooker beef, slow cooker, beef pasta
Here is the orignal version: Braised Corsican Beef
Either end of the Christmas market is for kids. It encourages parents to go through the market twice, right?
At the main entrance is a carousel – not at all Christmas themed.
At the opposite end, next to Santa:
Another carrousel, this one geared toward smaller children.
Maybe the parents can park the kids in one of the sleighs while they pick out the Christmas tree.
What did I buy at the Market?
No, not the chocolate kind.
I bought a very tiny jar of shredded black winter truffles.
I’m thinking a risotto, scrambled eggs, maybe a sauce of some sort…. still working on it.