The theme for Monday posts in January is Stew.
I love stew.
It’s easy to make and easy to make enough for more than 1 meal.
The meat, vegetables, and flavors can vary according to taste and mood.
Stew is, by definition, (WiKi): a combination of solid food ingredients that have been cooked in liquid and served in the resultant gravy. A stew needs to have raw ingredients….
My mother only made beef stew. This is her recipe – sort of.
Click here to Pin Beef StewPrint
This serves 4 – or, as in our house, 2 meals for 2.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 85 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: One Dish Dinners
- Method: Braise
- 28oz (840gr) beef stew meat, cut into 1 1/2″ (4cm) pieces.
- 4 tbs flour
- 1 1/2 tbs paprika
- 6 shallots, peeled, left whole
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 2″ (5cm) lengths, then quartered
- 1 medium rutabaga (swede), peeled, cut into chunks about 3/4″ (2cm)
- 4 medium potatoes,(20oz, 600gr) quartered the long way then cut in half or thirds depending on size
- 3 ribs celery, cut into 2″ (5cm) lengths, then halved
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- 3 bay leaves (laurel)
- 2 cups (16oz, 500ml) beef stock/broth
- 1/2 cup sherry or red wine
- 1 tbs cornstarch (maizena) dissolved in 2 tbs beef stock (if needed)
- Put flour and paprika into a plastic food bag or bowl and mix well.
- Add beef and coat thoroughly.
- Heat oil in a medium pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add beef and brown on all sides.
- Add garlic, add and sauté 1 minute.
- Add broth, sherry, tomato paste, herbs, and stir well to scrape up any browned bits.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes, or simmer very slowly for several hours.
- Start the vegetables an hour before dinner.
- The vegetables:
- Put potatoes in water until needed to prevent discoloring.
- Add shallots, rutabaga, carrots, celery to beef.
- Stir well, cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and add to stew.
- Simmer 30 minutes longer, until vegetables are tender.
- To finish:
- If desired, for a thicker gravy, dissolve cornstarch in beef broth.
- Uncover, increase heat and remove bay leaves.
- Add cornstarch and stir until sauce is thickened.
Substitute more broth for the sherry / red wine. Substitute more carrots or white turnips for the rutabaga. If you prefer broccoli or cauliflower, add it with the potatoes.
- Serving Size: 1/4 recipe
- Calories: 592
- Sugar: 14.1 g
- Sodium: 571.4 mg
- Fat: 12.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.2 g
- Trans Fat: 0.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 65.5 g
- Fiber: 12.8 g
- Protein: 52.7 g
- Cholesterol: 130.9 mg
Keywords: stew, beef stew, root vegetables
If you want something faster: Chicken Stew