The theme for Monday posts in January is Stew.
I love stew.
It’s easy to make and easy to make enough for more than 1 meal.
The meat, vegetables, and flavors can vary according to taste and mood.
Stew is, by definition, (WiKi): a combination of solid food ingredients that have been cooked in liquid and served in the resultant gravy. A stew needs to have raw ingredients….
The herbs and spices can be anything you like.
Click here to Pin Pork & Chickpea StewPrint
Pork & Chickpea Stew
Because I used pork tenderloin this stew does not require long cooking – so I made it in a skillet rather than a pot.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: One Dish Dinners
- Method: Skillet
- 14oz (420gr) pork tenderloin, sliced 1″ (2.5cm) thick
- 2 medium carrots, trimmed, cut into sticks
- 2 medium potatoes, cut into chunks
- 1 cup chickpeas, drained
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/2 cup (4oz, 120gr) white wine
- 1/2 cup (4oz, 240gr) chicken broth
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs maizena dissolved in 2 tbs water
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add pork slices and lightly brown on both sides, about 6 minutes total.
- Remove to a plate.
- Add cumin, paprika, onion, carrots, and sauté 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, ginger and sauté 1 minute longer.
- Add thyme, wine, broth, tomato paste and bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- Add potatoes, and simmer 10 minutes.
- Return pork to skillet, along with chickpeas, and simmer 10 minutes longer, until vegetables are tender.
- Uncover, increase heat and add cornstarch mixture, stirring until sauce is thickened.
Check that vegetables are done by piercing with a knife. If not, simmer 5 – 10 minutes longer. Time will depend on thickness.
If you prep in order, while parts are cooking, it all goes faster….
- Serving Size: 1/2 recipe
- Calories: 664
- Sugar: 9.2 g
- Sodium: 757 mg
- Fat: 14.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.8 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 70.1 g
- Fiber: 14.3 g
- Protein: 53.7 g
- Cholesterol: 130.2 mg
Keywords: pork stew, pork tenderloin, chickpeas, stews
For something different: Pulled Pork Stew