When I first started making this, years ago, with cream of mushroom soup and sour cream, we called it Hamburger Stroganoff.
I don’t know when or why I stopped calling it hamburger and started calling if ground beef.
I think, in the U.S., one can buy ground beef or ground round or ground whatever. I have no idea if there is still hamburger.
The Brits call it all mince.
Anyway, I was curious so I googled the difference between hamburger and ground beef.
It’s simple, really: Ground beef, regardless of fat content, must have all of the fat used come from the beef trimmings. Hamburger, regardless of fat content, may contain fat that does not come from the trimmings.
My day is complete… I learned something new. Useless, but new.
Click here to Pin Ground Beef StroganoffPrint
Ground Beef Stroganoff
Quick comfort food and an easy main course.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Pasta
- 4oz (120gr) egg noodles
- 12oz (360gr) ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4oz (125gr) mushrooms, chopped
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 3/4 cup (6oz, 180gr) beef broth
- 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 1/2 tbs cornstarch (maizena) dissolved in
- 2 tbs beef stock
- 1/2 cup (4oz, 125ml) Greek yogurt, plain yogurt or sour cream
- Cook noodles according to package instructions.
- When done, drain and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet.
- Add onions and sauté until starting to get tender.
- Add mushrooms and sauté 5 minutes.
- Add beef, sauté, breaking it up as it browns
- Add broth, Worcestershire sauce, basil and heat to boiling
- Add cornstarch, stirring until thickened.
- Remove from heat, add yogurt, mix thoroughly.
- Put the pasta in large pasta bowl, spoon the Stroganoff over and serve.
Substitute sour cream for the Greek yogurt
- Serving Size: 1/2 recipe
- Calories: 601
- Sugar: 7.9 g
- Sodium: 449.1 mg
- Fat: 15.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 5.4 g
- Trans Fat: 0.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 59.4 g
- Fiber: 3.5 g
- Protein: 54.4 g
- Cholesterol: 159.6 mg
Keywords: ground beef, mushrooms, pasta
Or you could try a proper Beef Stroganoff
We’ve been having clear skies the last few days… And a full moon.
It’s not often that I get to see a moonrise
Followed by a moonset the next morning.
I was trying to capture the moon and the moon’s reflection in the pond. You can just see it in the reflection of the trees.
It was too early and too cold to go running out in the field so I stayed on the deck.
Maybe next time…