When cooking for two one often has a few mushrooms or half of a bell pepper left lurking in the fridge.
There could also be a few cauliflower or broccoli florets or a wedge of cabbage but that’s not what I found the other day.
I work with what’s there.
And I love barley…. I use quick-cooking, which is ready in under 20 minutes.
Click here to Pin Pork & Mushrooms, Creamy Yogurt SaucePrint
Pork & Mushrooms, Creamy Yogurt Sauce
This is similar to a Stroganoff but made with pork and served on barley – so only vaguely similar.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Pork
- Method: Skillet
- 12oz (350gr) pork tenderloin, cut into bite-size piences
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 4oz (125gr) mushrooms, trimmed, sliced
- 4 tsp olive oil
- 1 tbs paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/3 cup flour (5 tbs)
- 3/4 cup (6oz, 180ml) chicken broth
- 1/2 cup (4oz, 120ml) white wine
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tbs cornstarch (maizena) dissolved in 2 tbs water
- 1/2 cup (4oz, 125ml) Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup (2.5oz, 75gr) quick-cooking barley
- 1 cup (8oz, 240ml) chicken broth
- Cook barley in broth until done.
- Put flour, paprika and cumin into a medium food bag or bowls and mix well.
- Add the pork and shake / stir to coat well.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in large skillet, sauté onions, peppers, mushrooms, and garlic until onions are tender.
- Remove to a plate.
- Heat remaining 2 tsp oil in same skillet.
- Add pork and sauté until starting to brown, 3 – 4 minutes.
- Add broth, wine, tomato paste, and vegetables to skillet, stir to combine.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer 5 – 10 minutes.
- Dissolve cornstarch in 2 tbs of water and stir into pan.
- Continue stirring until quite thick.
- Remove from heat, add yogurt, mix thoroughly.
- Put the barley on a platter, spoon the pork & veggies over and serve
Quick-cooking barley is ready in about 16 minutes. Substitute Basmati rice (same amount of time) or pasta.
Pork tenderloin cooks quickly and stays moist and tender. Pork chops or chicken breasts could be used.
Substitute sour cream for the yogurt.
- Serving Size: 1/2 recipe
- Calories: 723
- Sugar: 10 g
- Sodium: 945.4 mg
- Fat: 19.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.7 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 73.7 g
- Fiber: 12.4 g
- Protein: 55.3 g
- Cholesterol: 124.1 mg
Keywords: pork tenderloin. mushrooms, yogurt sauce
If you love barley: Sausage, Cabbage & Barley Skillet
We’ve had a dry, cold (by our standards) winter.
The temps finally started to warm up.
I had a few walks with no jacket.
I was ready to get out the gardening tools and do the spring clean-up. I even started working down in the woods.
The noisy crane’s have been flying over on their migration north. All signs of spring.
Then the rains started.
I’m happy about that. We desperately need the rain as we are / were facing water shortages after last summer’s drought and high heat. I was even debating with myself if I should plant my potager or not.
With the rain came high winds. So far we haven’t had any damage but the howling wind is a bit unsettling for both dog and humans.
I’m really happy about the rain – but I wish it could have been January or February, like normal.
I’ll quit complaining now.
4 thoughts on “Pork & Mushrooms, Creamy Yogurt Sauce”
We had a few inches of snow yesterday, but it didn’t stick to the roads. It did stick to everything else though. My pretty little spring bulbs have started coming up. They’re always so optimistic and then it snows on them, but they keep trying. Eventually, they’ll either bloom completely or die trying. I’m always happy when they bloom. 🙂
This dish looks good! I bought a jar of pimento. Since they don’t seem to bother me in green olives, I thought I’d try substituting a few for red peppers. Doesn’t hurt to try.
The wind didn’t seem to blow the plum blossoms off the trees so I’m hoping for a harvest this year. My tulips and hyacinth are up but no blossoms yet.
I love pimento – and use it a lot in place of red peppers. It’s easy lol Hope it works for you.
Yes all round the weather is ridiculous, 28 C here in Fes today !
And it’s only March!