The theme for Monday posts in April is Asparagus.
It’s asparagus season and we eat a lot of it for the 5 or 6 weeks it’s available.
We eat green, purple, purple-tipped white, and big, fat white. We love it all.
However, the different types of asparagus are cooked differently. If you try to cook fat white asparagus like fat green asparagus you will be disappointed.
I have done a primer here on Asparagus. It’s after the recipe.
My other favorite spring treat is green garlic.
Green garlic is immature garlic. It’s harvested before the individual bulbs are formed and while the stalks are still tender. The entire stalk is edible, raw or cooked. The garlic flavor is mild and sweet. If you see it, don’t hesitate, don’t think, just grab it quickly.
It seems only right to combine the 2.
Click here to Pin Asparagus with Green GarlicPrint
Asparagus with Green Garlic
This is one of the easiest ways to fix asparagus – and our favorite.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Vegetables
- Method: Skillet
- 10oz (300gr) asparagus, green, trimmed
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 4 green garlic, including green tops, washed, trimmed, sliced
- Put asparagus into a skillet big enough to hold them without cutting.
- Add water to cover bottom of skillet by 1/4 inch, cover and bring to boil.
- Lower heat and cook just until done, 6 – 8 minutes.
- When done drain and put into a serving dish.
- Return the (empty) skillet to heat and add olive oil.
- Add green garlic and sauté 2 minutes.
- Add the cooked asparagus.
- Sauté until asparagus is heated through and green garlic is tender.
- Put back onto serving dish and serve – adding salt and pepper if desired.
Substitute green onions for the green garlic – different flavor but still tastes like spring.
- Serving Size: 1/2 recipe
- Calories: 155
- Sugar: 3.6 g
- Sodium: 6.4 mg
- Fat: 14.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.1 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 6.9 g
- Fiber: 3.4 g
- Protein: 3.4 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: asparagus, green garlic
Rather try the white? White Asparagus with Green Garlic.