It’s a toss-up chez nous, as to which is the ultimate comfort food: meatloaf or meatballs.
Actually, forget the reference to comfort food… It’s really about the leftovers.
Mon mari normally gets the leftovers for his lunch. Either one makes the perfect (for him) sandwich.
It’s easier to make a large meatloaf (giving him more days of meatloaf sandwiches) than making multiple meatballs.
Click here to Pin Meatloaf with Mushroom SaucePrint
Meatloaf with Mushroom Sauce
Homemade Mushroom Sauce takes this easy Meatloaf ‘up a notch’.
This makes a large meatloaf for a family dinner or planned leftovers.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Beef
- 16oz (450gr) ground beef
- 8oz (250gr) ground pork
- 1/2 onion, very finely minced
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup (2oz, 60gr) bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup (2oz, 60ml) red wine
- 1 tbs Dijon-style mustard
- 1 tbs dried sage
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Mushroom Sauce:
- 6oz (180gr) mushrooms, trimmed, chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups (12oz, 360gr) chicken broth
- 1/2 cup (4oz, 120gr) Greek yogurt
- 1 tbs cornstarch (maizena, corn flour) dissolved in 2 tbs water
- In large bowl lightly beat egg with a fork.
- Add onion, red wine, mustard, crumbs, herbs and mix well.
- Add beef and pork, mix well – best to use your hand, kneading it like bread dough.
- Shape into a loaf and put into a roasting pan large enough to hold it with room on all sides.
- Bake at 400F (200C) for 40 minutes.
- Remove and spoon mushroom sauce over the top.
- Bake 15 minutes longer or until done.
- Remove. Carve a few slices and serve, Mushroom Sauce on the side.
- Mushroom Sauce:
- Sauté onions and mushrooms in medium skillet in oil until tender and starting to brown.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a simmer.
- Dissolve cornstarch in water and add to skillet, stirring until thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in yogurt.
- Set aside until needed.
You could use tomato sauce rather than the mushroom sauce.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 480
- Sugar: 5.3 g
- Sodium: 683.6 mg
- Fat: 23.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 8.1 g
- Trans Fat: 0.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 19.6 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 43.5 g
- Cholesterol: 161.7 mg
Keywords: meatloaf, beef, mushroom sauce
Or try Meatloaf Florentine, with spinach and tomato sauce.
After a week of sunshine and warm temps, allowing the ground in the potager to harden into clay concrete, we have had rain.
Initially, I was pleased, thinking that a bit of rain would soften the ground enough that I could finish the clean-up, and get ready to do the planting.
However, after 5 days of downpours, interspersed with light rain and drizzle, I am heartily sick of it all and my potager is mud.
I went for my usual walk today, as it wasn’t raining and there was no rain forecast.
I came home looking like a drowned rat. It didn’t rain, but there was a light mist…. never enough to stop my walk but the effects were cumulative.
As the Irish would say: It was a fine, soft, day.
I will leave you with the photo I took on my walk last week when I was still bemoaning the dryness: