This is a springtime cake.
It needs to be made with local strawberries, bursting with flavor… preferably just picked.
It has an easy Strawberry Sauce to go with it to make the most of the season.
Try not to eat all the berries before the cake is finished.
Click here to Pin Strawberry Yogurt CakePrint
Strawberry Yogurt Cake
Fresh lemon juice brightens the strawberry flavor and almond flakes provide the finishing touch.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Yield: 16 1x
- Category: Desserts
- 1 cup (8oz, 240gr) butter
- 2 cups (14oz, 400gr) sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups (11oz,330gr) flour, divided
- 3 tbs fresh lemon juice, divided
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 8oz (220gr) Greek yogurt
- 12oz (360gr) fresh strawberries, roughly chopped
- 1 cup (4oz, 120gr) powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup (1oz, 30gr) almond flakes
- Strawberry Sauce
- 3 cups (15oz, 450gr) strawberries
- 1/3 cup (2.5oz, 70gr) sugar
- 1/3 cup (3oz, 90ml) water
- 1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tsp Balsamic vinegar
- Butter and flour a 10″ (25cm) tube pan
- Preheat oven to 375F (190C)
- Combine 2 1/4 cups flour, baking soda, lemon zest and salt
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy..
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each egg.
- Add 1 tbs lemon juice
- Add dry ingredients and yogurt, half at a time, alternating, mixing on low.
- Toss the strawberries with the remaining 1/4 cup flour.
- Gently fold into batter.
- Spoon into prepared pan and smooth the top.
- Put the cake into the oven and reduce the temperature to 325F (165C).
- Bake, 60 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into cake comes away clean. Start testing after 55 minutes.
- Remove and cool for an hour then remove from pan and allow to cool completely.
- Whisk remaining 2 tbs lemon juice and powdered sugar.
- Drizzle over cake.
- Top with almond flakes
- Strawberry Sauce:
- Mash 1 cup of strawberries.
- Put into a saucepan along with water. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a soft boil and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Strain liquid into a bowl, pressing on pulp.
- Discard pulp
- Put sugar and cornstarch into saucepan and stir to combine.
- Put on heat and add 1/2 cup of strawberry liquid (add water if needed), stirring constantly until clear and thickened.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Quarter remaining 2 cups of strawberries and stir into sauce.
- Serve with cake (or on ice cream)
If the strawberries are ‘just’ washed, pat them dry before chopping them and adding the flour. The flour helps keep them suspended in the batter while baking.
Use a thermometer for the best results – the temp should be between 205 – 210 F (96 – 99 C)
This is a moist cake and can be a challenge getting it out of the pan. The almond flakes cover any problems.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 377
- Sugar: 39.8 g
- Sodium: 133.6 mg
- Fat: 14.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 7.9 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 57.2 g
- Fiber: 1.9 g
- Protein: 5.6 g
- Cholesterol: 67.2 mg
Keywords: cake, bundt cake, strawberries
Prefer blueberries? Lemon Ricotta Blueberry Cake
We had a few friends over for dinner last night – to celebrate spring.
I introduced them to green garlic.
We had lots of asparagus.
And Strawberry Yogurt Cake.