The theme for Monday posts in June is Summer Sides.
The temps are getting warmer and the evenings are getting longer.
At our house the main course is done on the barbecue grill.
Fresh herbs are such a treat in spring and summer. I make a regular evening stroll around the garden, deciding what I’ll use for dinner.
We need easy, but flavorful, side dishes….
And remember – barley is not just for soup!
Click here to Pin Barley with ChivesPrint
Barley with Chives
Garlic chives are also called Chinese Chives. They are flat, rather than round, and have a distinct garlic flavor. They have white flowers rather than purple.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Sides
- 1/2 cup (2oz, 60gr) quick-cooking barley
- 1 cup (250ml) chicken broth (or more, depending on type of barley)
- 2 tbs fresh, snipped chives
- 2 tbs fresh, snipped garlic chives
- 1 tbs fresh, snipped basil
- 1 tbs salad olive oil
- Cook barley in broth until done, stirring occasionally.
- If all the broth is not absorbed, drain.
- Stir in olive oil, herbs and serve.
Use all regular chives or whatever your favorite herb is.
- Serving Size: 1/2 recipe
- Calories: 245
- Sugar: 1 g
- Sodium: 466.6 mg
- Fat: 7.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.1 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 39.7 g
- Fiber: 8 g
- Protein: 6 g
- Cholesterol: 2.5 mg
Keywords: barley, fresh herbs
Another flavorful side is Barley Pilaf with Spring Vegetables
That’s it !