The theme for Monday posts in July is Zucchini.
Zucchini is the Italian word for summer squash and, for unknown reasons, in the U.S. green striped summer squash are called zucchini – all the rest are summer squashes, usually noted with their color.
Courgette is the French word for summer squash and, in most of the rest of the English-speaking world, refers to all summer squashes.
As squash is a perfectly good word, one can only assume that by giving them a French or Italian name they are meant to be more appealing.
As they are so prolific and ’tis the season, I am featuring summer squash recipes, starting with easy and getting more creative as growers get more desperate.
Click here to Pin Zucchini Noodles with Pesto RossoPrint
Zucchini Noodles with Pesto Rosso
This is an easy summer side that is ready in under 15 minutes. We love Pesto Rosso.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Vegetables
- 1 zucchini or summer squash, about 8″ (20cm) long
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 tbs pesto rosso or regular pesto
- 1 tbs salad olive oil
- Slice the zucchini with a vegetable / potato peeler into paper thin strips.
- Stop slicing when you get to the seeds – discard the center with the seeds.
- Heat the 2 tsp of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the zucchini noodles and quickly stir-fry just until they start to wilt, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl mix the pesto rosso and 1 tbs salad olive oil.
- Add zucchini noodles and toss to coat.
These ‘noodles’ are easily made with a vegetable peeler. This uses purchased Pesto Rosso – which is pesto with a bit of tomato added.
Use any summer squash / zucchini for this.
- Serving Size: 1/2 recipe
- Calories: 182
- Sugar: 2.7 g
- Sodium: 160 mg
- Fat: 18.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.9 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 4 g
- Fiber: 1.2 g
- Protein: 1.9 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: summer squash, zucchini, zucchini noodles
If you have a spiralizer, and prefer ‘zoodles’: Pesto & Cherry Tomato Zucchini Noodles
That’s it !