The theme for Monday posts in August is Something Else.
It’s not salads or sides or grilling or smoking.
I’m not highlighting a favorite vegetable or other food.
These recipes are just going to be the odd things I make – because.
Like this Relish.
One of my tomato plants collapsed because there were too many big green tomatoes weighing it down.
I rescued the plant and cut off some of the tomatoes so the branches weren’t so heavy.
Then I had to do something with all the big green tomatoes.
We love this. I’ll make it again without waiting for a disaster.
Click here to Pin Green Tomato & Red Pepper RelishPrint
Green Tomato & Red Pepper Relish
This reminds me of the hot dog relish I had as a child. Goes great on burgers, too.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 30 1x
- Category: Pickles
- 6 cups (900gr) finely chopped green tomatoes
- 2 small – medium onions, finely chopped (1 1/3 cup, 180gr)
- 1 large red bell pepper, finely chopped (1 1/2 cups, 180gr)
- 1 tbs sea / course salt (1 1/2 tsp table salt)
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup (50gr) white sugar
- 1/4 cup (45gr) brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tbs Dijon-style mustard (hot)
- 1 tbs mustard seed
- 1 tsp celery seeds
- Combine green tomatoes, onion, bell pepper and salt in a saucepan.
- Stir in vinegar, sugars, mustards and celery seeds.
- Bring the mixture to a gentle boil over medium heat.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes, onions and bell peppers are very tender, about 15 minutes.
- Refrigerate for up to 2 weeks or freeze.
Cutting the tomatoes is time consuming. Use a food processor if you have one. I don’t.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 28
- Sugar: 5.2 g
- Sodium: 258.1 mg
- Fat: 0.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 6.1 g
- Fiber: 0.6 g
- Protein: 0.6 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: green tomatoes, tomato pickle, tomato relish
You could also try Green Tomato Pickles