The theme for Monday posts in August is Something Else.
It’s not salads or sides or grilling or smoking.
I’m not highlighting a favorite vegetable or other food.
These recipes are just going to be the odd things I make – because.
Like Pickled Green Beans
I plant pole beans rather than bush beans.
Bush beans produce everything all at once, which is great if you plan on canning or freezing them. Or have a market stall.
Pole beans produce smaller quantities over several weeks, allowing one to enjoy them at a moderate pace.
However, there are still periods of time when the production exceeds the ability to eat.
When that happens I freeze the extra – or make pickles.
These are what is commonly known as ‘refrigerator’ pickles. The vegetables are not processed in the brine, but just allowed to soak in it, absorbing flavors. Unlike proper, processed and canned or bottled pickles they do not keep longer than 3 – 4 weeks. Still good, tho….
Click here to Pin Pickled Green BeansPrint
Pickled Green Beans
These are easy to make and fun to have at a picnic or barbecue.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Pickles
- 24oz (720gr) green beans, trimmed,
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled, cut in half
- 1 1/2 cups (12oz, 360ml) cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups (12oz, 360ml) white wine tarragon vinegar
- 2/3 cup (4.5oz, 130gr) sugar
- 2 tbs salt
- 1 tbs mustard seed
- 1 tbs dill seed
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 2 cups water
- Blanch beans in boiling water for 3 minutes.
- Drain, and put in cold water to cool.
- Put beans and garlic in a bowl.
- Heat remaining ingredients to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Let cool 10 minutes.
- Pour over beans.
- Cover and refrigerate. Will be ready in a day; better in 2 or 3.
Use green, yellow or purple beans. They are ready in a day but better after 2 or 3 days.
- Serving Size: a few
- Calories: 49
- Sugar: 5.8 g
- Sodium: 7.7 mg
- Fat: 0.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.1 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 11 g
- Fiber: 3.1 g
- Protein: 2.3 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: green beans, pickles
Or try the cucumber version: Refrigerator Pickles