The theme for Monday posts in September is Vegetable Gratins.
Actually, that is going to be the theme for October, also.
I make a lot of vegetable gratins
According to the Powers That Be that run the internet. “A gratin is a dish that is topped with cheese, or bread crumbs mixed with bits of butter, then heated in the oven or under the grill until brown and crisp. The terms au gratin or gratinée refer to any dish prepared in such a manner.”
Those PTB are obviously British as we Americans would say ‘broiler’ rather than ‘grill’ but you get the idea.
I rarely do the butter and bread crumbs bit, and I don’t always put the cheese on top. Sometimes it gets mixed in.
The important things is, my gratins are always easy. Top them however you like.
Click here to Pin Green Bean CasserolePrint
Green Bean Casserole
Made with fresh green beans and fresh mushrooms, and an easy sauce…. You’ll never go back to the old, canned, version.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Vegetables
- 8oz (240gr) green beans, cut at an angle into 1/4″ strips
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 3oz (90gr) mushrooms, chopped
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup (4oz, 120ml) beef broth
- 1/2 cup (4oz, 120ml) white wine
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tbs cornstarch dissolved in 2 tbs water
- 1/2 cup (4oz, 120gr) Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Cook the beans in rapidly boiling water for 10 minutes, drain.
- Sauté the shallots and mushrooms in olive oil until tender and starting to brown.
- Add stock, wine and soy sauce. Heat to boiling.
- Add cornstarch, stirring until thickened and clear.
- Stir in yogurt.
- Add mushroom sauce to green beans, stirring well. Spoon into a casserole.
- Combine crumbs, cheese and sprinkle over the top.
- Bake, uncovered, 400F (200C), until hot and bubbly, about 15 minutes.
- Remove and serve.
This is almost as easy as the old version using canned soup. And it tastes so much better!
- Serving Size: 1/2 recipe
- Calories: 349
- Sugar: 9.3 g
- Sodium: 437.4 mg
- Fat: 14.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 5.8 g
- Trans Fat: 0.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 29.3 g
- Fiber: 4.5 g
- Protein: 16.5 g
- Cholesterol: 25.6 mg
Keywords: green beans. mushrooms
Even easier – for bean lovers: Sautéed Green Beans