I may have mentioned that this is the season (for me) to clean out the pantry and fridge.
My goal is to use up all of the bits of ‘summer’ food I have left so it can be replaced by ‘winter’ food.
Vinegars are put in a ‘cool, dark area’ and not replaced if they’re getting low. Salad olive oil is used for finishing and cooking and will be replaced by sesame and walnut oils for stir-fries.
Pesto and pesto rosso are out and a locally made tomato sauce with garlic is in.
We’re debating the bottled barbecue sauce…..
Click here to Pin Pesto Pasta Salad with Grilled Chicken BreastsPrint
Pesto Pasta Salad with Grilled Chicken Breasts
I love using a bit of Greek yogurt to ‘stretch’ the pesto sauce. It makes it a bit creamy, also.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Salad
- 2 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless (12oz, 360gr) total weight
- 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 3oz (100gr) cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 3oz (100gr) feta cheese, crumbled
- 3oz (100gr) Greek or Kalamata olives, pitted, cut in half
- 2 tbs fresh snipped chives
- 1 1/4 cups (4oz, 120gr) pasta, (penne)
- 2 tbs Greek or plain yogurt
- 4 tbs pesto
- 1 tbs salad olive oil
- Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- Mix Worcestershire, vinegar, basil and oil in a small bowl.
- Pour over chicken and allow to marinate a few minutes.
- Cook chicken on barbecue grill 7 – 10 minutes per side, or until done.
- When done, remove and slice
- In pasta bowl, mix pesto, oil and yogurt.
- When pasta is done drain, rinse lightly with cool water, drain and add to pesto in bowl.
- Toss to coat. Add sliced chicken, tomatoes, olives, feta and chives, toss gently to combine and serve.
You could quickly sauté the chicken in a skillet for the same amount of time. Or get rotisserie chicken.
- Serving Size: 1/2 recipe
- Calories: 869
- Sugar: 6.6 g
- Sodium: 1179.3 mg
- Fat: 46.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 12.8 g
- Trans Fat: 0.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 54.8 g
- Fiber: 4.4 g
- Protein: 56 g
- Cholesterol: 164.3 mg
Keywords: pesto pasta, chicken breasts, pasta salad
Why not try Chicken & Green Bean Pasta Salad?
It’s not even the middle of September and I have picked most of my winter squash.
It’s rather a pathetic harvest:
The green hokaido did fairly well, but about half were sunburned. I’ve had to cut up 2 of them already as there were signs of spoilage.
I caught it quickly enough that very little of the squash had to be tossed on the compost, but that does make me concerned about the rest.
Those 2 little blue pumpkins are all I got from 3 plants – and they should be about 5 times that size.
2 butternut from 4 plants, but 2 more are trying to ripen…. pathetic.
The orange kuri did fairly well, there is one more ripening so that’s 2 from each plant.
There are a few more in the garden but…. disappointing.
The tomatoes, on the other hand, were fantastic!