My neighbor gave me some fresh beets.
I’ve never had fresh beets before. Normally, I buy them in the supermarket and they’re cooked, peeled, and packaged in shrink-wrap. Easy.
I found myself with a sack of dirty beets of all sizes, with roots attached.
Seemed like the perfect job for my Instant Pot.
This is a 2-step recipe. They have to be cooked and peeled before they can be used in a ‘recipe’.
Options are given in the notes.
Click here to Pin Beets with Maple-Balsamic GlazePrint
Beets with Maple-Balsamic Glaze
I had fresh beets that I first cooked in my Instant Pot. Stove-top & Instant Pot directions are in the notes.
The time for this recipe assumes cooked beets.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Vegetables
- Method: Skillet
- 8oz (240gr) cooked beets, cut into bite-size chunks
- 1 tbs butter
- 2 tbs maple syrup
- 2 tbs Balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp thyme
- Sauté beets in butter until hot.
- Add remaining ingredients and heat through.
- Wash beets, cut off roots and cut beets in half or quarters to get similar sizes. Put beets on rack in Instant Pot with 1 cup of water.
- Pressure cooking time for beets that are about 2″ in diameter is 20 minutes, then quick release. Peel when cool enough to handle.
- To boil them takes 20 – 40 minutes, depending on size, until tender when pierced with a knife. Peel when cool enough to handle.
- Both of these methods are for cooking beets to be used in recipes.
- You could, of course, simply roast and eat them.
- Serving Size: 1/2 recipe
- Calories: 167
- Sugar: 23.5 g
- Sodium: 94.2 mg
- Fat: 6 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.6 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 27.5 g
- Fiber: 2.3 g
- Protein: 2.1 g
- Cholesterol: 15.3 mg
Keywords: beets, red beets. beetroot
If carrots are more to your taste: Balsamic Glazed Carrots
Hector is teething, as all puppies do. Which means he’s chewing everything he can get his teeth on.
These are some of the toys we have bought him over the last few weeks in an effort to keep him entertained and chewing appropriately:
He likes them well enough but they are definitely not his favorites.
These are his favorites:
The round white rock is a special favorite. I can throw sticks and ropes and squeaky toys outside for him to fetch and he may or may not actually be interested. But when I throw his pet rock he jumps for joy, chases it, grabs it, runs in circles, and brings it back for another toss.
Of course I have a weird dog! Why wouldn’t I ?!?