The theme for Monday posts in November is Soup.
I love soup. I could live on soup. Mon mari is happy to have a bit for lunch, along with his sandwich.
When I was first living on my own I would make a big pot of soup every week and freeze it in serving size containers. After a few weeks I had a variety of soups to chose from all winter long.
The best part about soup is that it’s so easy. It doesn’t need to be precise, like baking. One doesn’t need to follow a recipe, and it’s a great way to use up leftovers. The only thing to remember to make a great soup is to ‘taste and adjust’ as it’s cooking.
Click here to Pin Black Bean SoupPrint
Black Bean Soup
This is a ‘from scratch’ recipe, including soaking and cooking dried black beans. Substitute 4 cups (30 oz, 900 gr) canned, rinsed, black beans.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Soaking: 3 hours
- Cook Time: 2 hours
- Total Time: 5 hours 15 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Soup
- 1 1/4 (10 oz, 300 gr) cup dry black beans
- 8oz (250gr) Prosciutto or other dry-cured ham, roughly chopped
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 chili powder
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- 5oz (150gr) city ham
- Put beans in a large pot, cover with water and allow to soak for at least 3
- hours. Drain.
- Add 8 cups of water to beans and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Add Prosciutto and bay leaves.
- Simmer, covered for 1 1/2 – 2 hours.
- When beans are tender, remove bay leaves.
- Add all vegetables to soup along with herbs and spices.
- Cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Cut ham into small pieces, add to soup.
- Stir in tomato paste. Serve.
Country ham is dried, like Prosciutto, Serrano, etc. City ham is the pink ham, often baked for holidays. This soup has both.
- Serving Size: 1/4 recipe
- Calories: 426
- Sugar: 6.5 g
- Sodium: 1756 mg
- Fat: 7.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.3 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 53.4 g
- Fiber: 20.6 g
- Protein: 38.1 g
- Cholesterol: 58.9 mg
Keywords: black beans, soup, bean soup
For an easier, autumnal soup: Lentil & Butternut Squash Soup
That’s it !