Late summer vegetables are great for grilling…. And what better way to grill vegetables than on a stick?
Kebabs are pretty when everything is on the same stick but I happen to prefer my beef rare and my onions well-done – or, at least medium. And I don’t want the tomatoes falling off into the fire.
By doing the meat and some of the vegetables separately you can cook the skewers for different times: allowing the onion to get done to your liking without overcooking the beef.
These are best if prepared earlier in the day and allowed to marinate.
Savory Beef & Vegetable Kebabs
Total time: 45 minutes plus time for marinating
- 12oz (360gr) beef loin or sirloin, cut into 1 1/2″ (3.75cm) cubes
- 1 yellow, orange or red bell pepper cut into 1 1/2 ” (3.75cm) squares
- 1 red or sweet onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 1 small – medium zucchini (courgette) 8″ (20cm), cut into 1/2″ (2cm) thick slices
- 6 – 8 mushrooms, large enough to be skewered, cleaned and trimmed
- 6 – 8 large cherry tomatoes
- 4 – 8 skewers, depending on length if wood, soak in water while preparing the rest
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 3 tbs ketchup
- 2 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbs soy sauce
- 1 tbs chili powder
- 1 tbs paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Hot pepper sauce or red pepper flakes – optional too hot for me 😉
- Put wooden skewers in water to soak.
- In small bowl whisk together all ingredients for marinade.
- Put meat and mushrooms in a small, deep bowl.
- Add marinade and allow to marinate for 30 minutes or up to 8 hours.
- To assemble:
- Remove meat and mushrooms from marinade.
- Put onions, zucchini and peppers in the marinade and stir to coat.
- Thread meat, tomatoes and mushrooms onto half of the skewers, alternating.
- Remove vegetables from marinade and thread onions, peppers and zucchini on the remaining skewers, alternating.
- To cook:
- Start to cook the vegetable-only skewers first, over indirect heat with the cover closed.
- After about 7 minutes, lift cover and turn vegetables, moving over direct heat.
- Add beef skewers over direct heat.
- Cook for 6 – 10 minutes, or until beef is done to your liking, turning halfway through cooking time.
- Vegetables should be crisp-tender.
- Remove and serve with Basmati Rice or Couscous.
I feel like I’m watching a train, speeding down the tracks toward a bridge…..
But the bridge collapsed and the train engineers don’t know (or, maybe, care). I’m screaming at them but no one listens.
The train is carrying 323 million passengers. I don’t want to watch but I can’t seem to look away.
I’m not going to comment on the events in Charlottsville…. or on the comments on the events.
Instead I give you Morning Glories – or, at least, the few the rabbits have allowed me to keep.
There’s a blue one:
And a magenta one:
And a pink one:
Once again, I have no words.