Yes, I’m buying lettuce.
I pulled out the chewed off stumps of romaine that had been trying to grow in my potager and added them to the compost.
Fortunately, lettuce is really cheap this time of year. I can get 3 huge heads for $2.
At least I think that is cheap…. I’ve bought it so rarely I really am not certain.
The only problem with buying it is finding room in the fridge to store it properly until we can eat it all.
When I’m growing it I just pick what is needed for the day.
I’ll stop complaining about the lettuce now….. We are thoroughly enjoying the salads.
Grilled Chicken Salad
Total time: 25 minutes
- 2 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 3/4 cup (15oz, 450gr) white beans, drained, rinsed
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/3 cup feta, crumbled
- 1/4 cup Greek olives, pitted, chopped
- 2 tbs fresh tarragon, chopped
- 1 tbs fresh lemon thyme leaves
- lettuce for 2 main meal salads
- Marinade for chicken:
- 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbs tarragon white wine vinegar
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1/2 tsp lemon pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Tarragon Vinaigrette:
- 3 tbs tarragon white wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbs Dijon-style mustard
- 4 tbs salad olive oil
- Make marinade, pour over chicken and let marinate 10 minutes.
- Grill chicken 12 – 15 minutes, or until done, turning once.
- Remove, let rest a few minutes, then slice..
- Whisk vinegar and mustard.
- Slowly add olive oil, whisking constantly until thickened. set aside.
- Prepare lettuce and put in large salad bowl along with the herbs.
- Add a bit (4 tbs) of dressing to lettuce and toss well to coat.
- Arrange avocado, chicken, tomatoes, beans, feta, and olives on the lettuce.
- Drizzle a bit of vinaigrette over the top and serve, remaining vinaigrette on the side.
Yesterday was the last day of French school before summer vacation.
Might I just say YAY!!!!!
The lesson we were working on is an excerpt from a book by Émile Zola, a French author (1840 – 1902).
We have been expanding our use of adjectives, and he was extremely prolific with descriptors.
After the textbook portion of class we were asked to pick a well-known, contemporary person and, using all of the wonderful new adjectives, describe said person.
The first adjective written on the board was ‘narcissique’.
Can anyone guess the name of the person?
Ahhh…. the pool saga.
After the storm, mon mari got it standing again and started filling in the sand. There needs to be a 2 inch base with a bit built up along the sides of the frame.
Obviously, at some point he had to close the frame and continue to add the sand…. Thus the scaffolding, ladders, trailers, etc.
I watched from the safety of the balcony.
Then the white base fabric (no clue) was laid out and the pool liner (blue) laid out ready for finishing.
That photo was this morning.
There is no more recent photo…..
Things didn’t go quite as smoothly as anticipated and we will not be swimming tomorrow.
Again, I stayed on the balcony.
It’s not that I am unwilling or unable to help…. he prefers to work alone and if it’s not going well he REALLY prefers to work alone.