The theme for Monday posts in October is Stuffed Vegetables.
We love stuffing all kinds of vegetables: summer and winter squashes, peppers, pumpkins, onions, tomatoes, mushrooms….
The stuffing used can be anything you like: beef, chicken, ham, or ? with rice, pasta, quinoa, beans, or ? Hot sauce or not; cheese or not….
This one has fresh ginger and sesame seeds.
Click here to Pin Stuffed Acorn Squash with Beef & RicePrint
Stuffed Acorn Squash with Beef & Rice
Golden Acorn Squash, stuffed with Ground Beef, Rice & Ginger for a twist. I used 1 large squash, but 2 small would also work.
Time assume using the microwave for the squash.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Active Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: One Dish Dinners
- 1 large acorn squash, or 2 small
- 1/3 cup Basmati rice
- 2/3 cup (5oz, 150ml) beef broth
- 6oz (180gr) ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp minced fresh ginger or 1/4 tsp powdered
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 cup (4oz, 120ml) beef broth
- 3 tsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp Balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbs cornstarch (corn flour, maizena) dissolved in 2 tbs water
- 2 tbs toasted sesame seeds
- Cut squash in half and scoop out seeds.
- Either place face down on tray and microwave for 10 – 12 minutes (assumed) or put into a baking dish, cover with foil and bake in 400F (200C) oven for 40 minutes.
- While squash cooks:
- Cook the rice in the beef broth 15 – 20 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed and it’s done.
- Heat the oils in a nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Sauté the onion and celery 5 minutes then add the garlic and ginger if using fresh.
- Sauté 5 more minutes or until onion and celery are tender and starting to brown.
- Add beef and sauté, breaking it up as it browns.
- Add soy sauce, vinegar, powdered ginger if using, beef broth and stir well to combine.
- Dissolve cornstarch in water.
- When beef mixture is simmering stir cornstarch in, a little at a time. (You may not need it all). You want it quite thick but not paste.
- When rice is done, add it along with sesame seeds and stir to combine.
- To assemble:
- When squash are ready (they should be almost done) remove from wherever they cooked and fill with the rice/beef mixture.
- Bake uncovered for 10 – 15 minutes, until stuffing starts to brown and squash is done.
Note: If the stuffing doesn’t all fit (depending on size of squash) keep it warm and serve on the side.
To toast sesame seeds: Put them into a dry, nonstick skillet over medium heat. Toss or stir them about in the pan until lightly golden, about 5 minutes.
- Serving Size: 1/2 recipe
- Calories: 551
- Sugar: 4.2 g
- Sodium: 596.3 mg
- Fat: 12.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.8 g
- Trans Fat: 0.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 86.3 g
- Fiber: 9.3 g
- Protein: 28.9 g
- Cholesterol: 50.9 mg
Keywords: acorn squash, stuffed winter squash, ground beef
Another favorite: Acorn Squash with Apples, Sausage, and Pumpkin Seeds