The theme for Monday Posts in June is Salads.
All types of salads – although there are only 4 Mondays we shall try for variety.
The only similarity is that they will be ‘side’ salads, rather than main course salads. Those will come later.
You can find more Lettuce & Vegetable Salads and / or Pasta & Grain Salads by clicking the links.
The first salad is one my mother made often when the lettuce was getting past its prime. She only planted Black-Seeded Simpson, which is a leaf lettuce – meaning it does not form heads.
I make it with whatever I have on hand.
The last leaves added to the skillet will be less wilted than the first…. It works out.
Click here to Pin Wilted Lettuce SaladPrint
Wilted Lettuce Salad
This is a fun change from the usual crisp salad but remember it’s wilted – not cooked.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Salad
- 8oz (250gr) leaf lettuce, or other lettuce
- 2 tbs fresh dill weed (leaves), chopped
- 3oz (90gr) bacon, chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup (2oz, 60gr) cider vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Pile lettuce up and cut it 3 or 4 times with a large knife.
- Heat oil in a very large skillet.
- Add onion, bacon and fry until bacon is crisp.
- Add vinegar, sugar, and heat just until sugar dissolves.
- Remove skillet from heat, add lettuce and dill. It may not all fit at first.
- Using a tongs or 2 forks, carefully turn and toss the lettuce, coating it with the vinegar / bacon mixture.
- Add more lettuce as the lettuce in the skillet wilts down, until it’s all added.
- Give it one final toss, serve and eat immediately.
If you don’t have a kitchen scale – basically you want enough lettuce for 4 salads. You will look at it and think it’s way too much. You will be wrong. It will wilt down to a perfect salad for two.
- Serving Size: 1/2 recipe
- Calories: 270
- Sugar: 5.2 g
- Sodium: 319.1 mg
- Fat: 21.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 6.3 g
- Trans Fat: 0.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 11.6 g
- Fiber: 2.6 g
- Protein: 7.9 g
- Cholesterol: 27.7 mg
Keywords: wilted lettuce, lettuce salad, bacon
4 thoughts on “Wilted Lettuce Salad”
Yum! I would really like this one. I like a warm salad like this with a bacon vinaigrette dressing. Lettuce, spinach, cabbage…
Bacon & vinegar are a great pair lol
Love the addition of the dill here !
I love fresh dill!
Comments are closed.